Question about, umm... contracts?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am new to the purebred goat thing. So, since I would like to buy a goat from afar, I thought it would be good to have some sort of contract in place before I sent any money. I haven't heard back from the breeder after asking about a contract. I don't know if I offended them or?

Could anybody with any buying experience tell me anything about buying goats from long distance?

Thanks!
    Dayna

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If they are a reputable breeder with a website I just send a check for a deposit or full payment etc. And that's that. If they are a well known reputable breeder then there is usually no need for a contract, but if you feel more comfortable with a contract I don't think the person would get offended...I also have had breeders send me a receipt after they received my deposit to hold a goat. Maybe they just haven't had a chance to reply. :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a contract is always a good idea -- I have mine sign a deposit agreement, maybe that should be how you state it. Most sellers want the proof that you knew the deposit was nonrefundable and that you had to pick up the goat by X date so no they shouldnt find that offensive but a normal accurance in the buying and selling world.

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yep I always send out a deposit agreement for people reserving kids- helps me keep track of whos who and who paid what- and I think they like the "receipt" of sorts in their hands too.

Maybe your email went to spam? Or maybe they are away? I wouldnt think someone would be offended about that- afterall its protecting them too!

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've never been asked or had to sign any aggreement in buying any goat I've owned or presently owned nor do I ask or require one for any kids I sell. I don't have any contracts here should someone request one. I'm not saying I wouldn't go about getting one but it would be unusual.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I also have a contract even for the deposit. Then when I receive the deposit - I send an email saying that this is their receipt that I had received $--.-- twords the total purchase price of $--.-- for ____ name of the goat. Then I put the money order number and date, along with my sig on the email.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never asked about a contract, im not saying its not a good idea. I have always gone with reputable breeders when flying kids. I always make sure to send either a money order or check. This way i have a receipt. I have made payments on animals before but i usually pick up the animal along with the papers when im done with payments. I guess thats the biggest thing though, is going with a reputable breeder. You can usually rely on them to follow through.
    I have made contracts for breeding right as well as doe kids back.
    beth