Question about weather, what is too cold for 11week olds?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatMominFL, Dec 19, 2009.

1. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi, I am new here and new to goats. I just got 2 wethers yesterday, one will be 11 weeks tomorrow, the other is 11 1/2 weeks. One is a pygmy, the other is a ND/Pygmy cross. It will be about 35 degrees tonight and 30 tomorrow night. Do they need a heater? Will an enclosed giant doghouse/pen area with hay be enough? We also have heat lamps. Not sure what they can tolerate.

I already made a post about this on the Mini Mania board, but one is screaming bloody murder when we leave his side, he is fine when we are around, but when we leave all he does is scream so I want to make sure they are warm and stressed the least possible. They have been here for about 18 hours, they are missing home :(

Thank you,
    Lizzy

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Crying is normal unfortunatly he is just going to have to learn that he is fine even if his mom isnt there.

as to the cold -- they will fine

its less then that here right now

3. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks Stacey, so no heater or heat lamp needed? Just a big wooden shelter dog house type thing and hay for bedding will be fine :? .... I just want them cozy and happy.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup they will do fine. Goats actually do well in the cold -- is the heat that you have to worry most about them.

IF it is sleeting or freezing rain make sure they do use their house.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ....goats do well in the cold... :wink: ..just make sure.... other than the shelter and shavings or hay on the floor to lay on...........to feed them good hay....such as alfalfa or any good quality hay........ it helps keep them warm...... the only goats ...that need a heat lamp ect are.... the newborns or adults that are sick or week.... :wink: :greengrin:

6. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Got it, thanks guys :thumb:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so how did they survive the cold temps?? doing all right? they might be mad at you but bring them out some warm water :thumb:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :hug:

How cold was it last night there?

9. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Yes they made it.... Told hubby about the warm water he looked at me like I was crazy. Its about 52 degrees right now, but windy so I am sure it feels colder. Last night it was 32, with it getting a little lower tonight, but we are in N Florida so no snow here. Thery ate all their grain, but I don't know if they are both drinking as they should. Which by the way cracked up up that goats do not lap water like a dog, but more like a straw or is this just my screaming goat :slapfloor:

BTW. How do you know if a Goat is dehydrated? I know with dogs you pull the skin on the back. And do they need warm water every time it's cold???

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Since their body temperature is higher then ours tap water feels much colder to them and why I suggest warm water whenever its colder then normal out. This entices them to drink.

Yes you check dehydration the same way as you would on a dog.

11. Yep, we are below freezing already and the kids are doing great so far. You in FL have no problem. I lived there a long time. I promise they do not know cold until they are up North. LOL

12. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    We're def no Canada weather and no snow, but it does get below freezing here many days between Nov and April... and tonight.... I caved in.... we put a heater for them in the house. They are in there nice and warm, last night they slept outside at first, today with the heater they went right in... We are Fl about 45 minutes from GA, it does go up in the 50's during the day and even the 60's and yes even 70 (crazy Fl weather) This means the heater will be on for just about 10 hours when the temps drop 30 degrees from what it was during the day... I just couldn't help it... they seemed cold :oops:

We also gave them warm water and they chugged ... spoiled kids... :cool:

13. Sounds good, hey will help for them to snuggle too. Just be sure they can't get burt or anthing else and watch the cord too.

As for the warm water, sounds good but if they do get real cold, which they should be ok, they can get sick if the insides warm too much before the rest. Just something to remember when they get to chugging, not to much to fast is all. :thumbup: