Question about winter & parasites?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 13, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For those of us living in upper midwest or cold climates :snow: ......do most all parasites freeze out during the winter? Just wondering.... :scratch:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    There is less issues with worms and cocci during the cold months. But if the weather warms up for any period of time they can become a problem again. As long as it stays cold you usually dont have to deal with them

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So, Stacey........are you saying that the ones already on the ground are not killed off completly by hard freezes?

Also, should you deworm now that winter is here, to get rid of arrested larva that might be in the goats system whether they show a need for it or not?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Not really -- because even with some hard freezes I still have a coccidia problem every spring and I am almost sure my goats are clear starting in the winter so they have to get it from somewhere

I am sure it cuts down on some of the numbers but doesnt kill them off completely -- ask a vet they should know more about this then I do

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Stacey.. :greengrin: ..worms and cocci can survive in many climates/temps.... :wink:

6. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    This is why I'm so thankful for where I live. It is very dry here and gets below freezing during the winter that we have very little problem with worms or anything else! I keep an eye on everyone and have done fecals periodically, but we're clean! And the dogs don't get fleas...another plus!