Question about worms. Bottle jaw, etc.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatweed, Jul 10, 2009.

1. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I seem to always notice when I have a doe that is gettin wormy that her face always seems to "swell". Swell is not the best word for it, but I dont know how to describe it. If you feel her face, the skin is kinda floating and flabby instead of down on the bone like it should be. This seems to usually precede bottle jaw. I am just looking for some sort of explanation as to what this is all about. Anyone know? I do know that once I see one display this look - it needs to be addressed immediately. Is there a particular worm that causes this look? No scours or any other symptoms except maybe a little weight loss, but not much. Kinda listless though. I know tapes usually dont cause diarrhea, but will cause weight loss. In my experience, tapes really dont bring them down that much, they just wont thrive. Therefore, I am assuming some sort of stomach worm. It is hot down here in TX (100-105). Could it be that the heat brings their system down and lets the worms kinda get a grip? Any insight would be great. I would like to know what I am fighting.

Thanks in advance.

2. my understanding is that bottle jaw is caused by internal parasites creating tiny holes in veins & capillaries that allow fluid to leak out into the tissue. When goats put their head down to feed, the fluid pools in the jaw area. This causes the swelling and squishy/flabby skin.

It sounds plausible that an animals immune system would be weakened by heat stress.

3. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Okay. I've done some reading here and found that what I am referring to is edema (I think). I also read on here that liver flukes are the main cause for bottle jaw :? . Really? I read on another site that edema plus pale eyelids is probably barberpole. Any ideas? Agree or disagree?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bottle jaw is caused by the barberpoll worm.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Actually the worms do not create holes in the blood vessels. They just create hypoproteinemia(low levels of protein in the blood) which is what results in the edema and it collects in the jaw be because they have their heads down while grazing.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    such great advice girls..... :wink: :greengrin:

8. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Plus when they have bottle jaw they are really anemic.