Question? Do you use a stanchion?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CanucksStar-17, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CanucksStar-17

CanucksStar-17 New Member

May 3, 2013
    Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. Or if it breaks any rules or anything. Also this is just a question that I've been wondering for a long time, not saying one way is better then the other just which one you like more.

I was wondering how many of you use a stanchion or if you just milk on the ground.

I always wanted to build a stanchion but after using a friends I figured out it was easier to just squat on the ground and do it. Now I'm young and I don't have any knee or back problems so obviously if you had any health problems or anything you would need to use a stanchion.
    But is there anyone who doesn't use one cause they find it easier not to?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Whatever works for you. Really doesn't matter. I use a stand but I'm older and like not having to crouch when milking or trimming nails.

3. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    I find it a whole lot easier to use a stanchion. Much more comfortable than crouching. And the goat is well restrained...which can be very nice with FFs lol.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Now granted I only milk when I have to but ground! And this is coming from someone who was ran over 26 years ago and has both back and knee problems lol
    But the few I do have to milk are so laid back I just sit on the ground and go for it. I also can't trim feet on a stand. My arms fall asleep. So I trim them like you would a horse and they have to be ground level but I'm also not the normalest person out there

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I trim feet and give shots and wormer with them on the ground. I milk on a milk stand.

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I use a stand, it's way easier for me. We tried to do it on the ground, but we'd have to have one person holding the doe's collar tightly, one person holding the doe's legs, and one person milking. Not fun. Maybe my gals just aren't well behaved. :p

7. I use the stanchion for everything. Have one in my milk area and an old one in the stall. That one is for trimming and clipping and they love to lie on it during the night. I couldn't do anything without restraint - and my goats are happy to be held that way while I am working on them, it also keeps me from having to bend so far down. Maybe I just got old!!

8. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Both, the goat being the most important aspect. I have one who will only stand on a stand otherwise she's a total terror and its not even worth it. Put her on the stand and she's 100% better. Her mom you could milk literally anywhere. On the ground, on the stand, in a stall, in a moving vehicle travelling across the country...doesn't matter how talented the milker is either. I have had probably 20 or more people learn how to milk on her. You don't even need feed most of the time!

9. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Everything got way easier for me once I built my milk stand!! It's so simple to do everything when my girls are on the stand with their mouths full of grain. Lol.

10. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    I find a milking stand very helpful! I doubt many of my girls would stand and let me milk them if they weren't stuck in the milking stand. :p It's also helpful for giving shots, feet-trimming, etc.

11. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Milking stand for milking is definitely helpful. Sometimes I do hoof trim on the ground, especially with pregnant does who have trouble getting on the stand. :lol: When on the ground, I clip their leads to the fence and have a helper hold their collar up behind their ears to keep them stiller. For front hooves I straddle the shoulders, for back hooves I try to carefully straddle the hips or stand to the side with pregnant goats. Non-bred goats I just hold their tummies with my knees, haha!

The bucks I need a stand for. They're too strong!

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yep..milking tables here. Good for milking..trimming... grooming..health check ect...a great tool especially when you are doing things alone and don't have a free hand :)