Question for all? What fencing do you have?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jberter, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jberter

jberter New Member

Depending on what breed of goats you have,,, what type of fencing do you use or have to confine the excape artist??? :whatgoat: :GAAH: Is there such a thing as different fencing used for different breeds of goats & what has worked best for you??? Newbie here wants to know??? :ponder: All info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    We have Boer goats on 116 acres. We have ten strand 4-point barbed wire on the perimiter fence (and very little predation or hog problems). We use 5 strand electric hot wire for cross fencing the various paddocks and pastures (use the hottest 110 volt fence charge that you can afford). We have field fence for all of the pens with hot wires at 8 inches and 16 inches high.

3. jberter

jberter New Member

Thank you Fred for the info, we have Boer goats also , but only a small herd of 3 does & 1 buck. We have cattle panels up for now and know with the addition of our herd that we will have to add more or check into other typs of fencing. Here is a picture of the kids in their inclosure. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... s2jZszctc0
    Thanks again for the info.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    We haven't built the new barn or fencing yet, but we're currently housing miniature goats with 4 and 8ft tall welded wire and wooden posts fencing (was built for wild turkeys and chickens). Knock on wood, no escapes yet :)

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have nigerian dwarfs and use Oklahoma brand or OK brand heavy duty, max tight, horse fencing. It's 5 feet tall with 2 by 4 '' squares. http://www.okbrandwire.com/max-tight-horse-fence.htm I absolutely love this stuff. I've had no escapes for the 3 years i've had it. It's very durable and looks nice.

6. jberter

jberter New Member

Thank you Shell and Kylee,,, this realy gives me an idea of what I will be needing for our Boers, specialy when they start having babys. I could just see me chasing the little stinkers all over when they slip through the cattle panels. :laugh:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi,

i have boers too, 11 does and 1 buck. i'm using 5ft woven wire fencing, dont bother with the welded, once they lean on it it pops apart.
    the buck gets special 2x6's at 3" intervals up to about 3ft on the fence. he really love beating it up and grinding his horns all over it. If he has a buddy in there he's fine. my boers dont seem to jump, so I may try 4ft woven wire for the acre behind us. though moose could maybe get over...

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I was going to post a separate thread, but it's pretty similar to this, so I may as well write it here...

We're building a new barn once the weather breaks. I've got 2 wooded acres down back, but I only plan to fence in half for the goats. What's the most reliable, cheapest, safest fencing you'd recommend for a whole acre? I plan to build traditional wooden fencing. Posts and 3 rails. I want wire to cover the gaps.

Recommendations?

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    We use standard field fencing with T-posts. The corner posts are railroad ties sunk 3ft and encased in concrete. So far they have not pulled it down after 2 years use. We did run 2ft chicken wire inside the fence to insure no babies could get through. We only have 5 right now on 1 acre.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ours is 2x4" field fencing. Free stop sign posts sunk in concrete every 8ft. Check at your local road maintenance. You can also pick up discarded street sweepers.
    2X4 & 2X6 lumber nailed about a third of the way up.

Now dont forget to block off the space between your gate & the post; babies have no problem escaping!

With BOers you must think heavy-duty mamimum security they can mow down any enclosure by just thinking about it. My girls are too lazy to jump. :laugh:

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ours is 2x4" field fencing. Free stop sign posts sunk in concrete every 8ft. Check at your local road maintenance. You can also pick up discarded street sweepers.
    2X4 & 2X6 lumber nailed about a third of the way up.

Now dont forget to block off the space between your gate & the post; babies have no problem escaping!

With BOers you must think heavy-duty mamimum security they can mow down any enclosure by just thinking about it. My girls are too lazy to jump. :laugh:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    woven wire field fencing would be my suggestion for long term durability

Currently I have welded wire -- but it doesnt stand up all that great and i am constantly fixing it (the old stuff was made better but this new stuff just likes to fall apart! :veryangry: they dont make things like they use to!)

13. jberter

jberter New Member

This is realy helping with what fencing to us for breeds of goats you have. What about electric fencing ? Are some goats able to take a shock more so than others???
    Betty

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    "Currently I have welded wire -- but it doesnt stand up all that great and i am constantly fixing it (the old stuff was made better but this new stuff just likes to fall apart! they dont make things like they use to!)"

REALLY? Where'd you buy it? I bought a few rolls from Lowes and I've torn down that chicken run about 4 times, I've never had an issue with it coming apart. I've actually been reusing pieces we've already cut. Like the new hay feeder and barn gate.

15. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    We use electric fencing For Cattle. horses, dogs, sheep and goat's both dairy and angora, 5 wires , 4 cord or tape & 1 normal wire

from top to bottom
    no's 1,2 & 3 are electric tape no 4 is electric wire & no 5 is tape not electric

if they get out , they get metal sticks on (except for the horses that is...)

when the weather is dry you will get poor electric connection , this is when they some times get out,

however it is not a common occurrence here :)

16. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I just use a mesh fence, but the goats still get out every once in a while. What I really want are cattle panels.

17. We used chain link. You can see some picks of our pastures at the "about us" section of our website.

18. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I only use 50" cattle panels, they last forever, are fairly cheap, considering the time they last, and can be cut easily with a grinder. Unlike an earlier post, I have never had trouble with the welds coming apart. My larger goats cant jump over, and the pygmys cant crawl through. I use steel/wood posts every other post. I would highly recommend cattle panels.

19. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Errr... scratch my question. My grandfather is apparently getting me bulk chain link fencing, so we'll use thick posts with that. Thank goodness I'm the only grand-daughter :p

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have pens made with the galvanized goat panels...same construction as the cattle/feedlot panels these just have smaller squares. No heads can get stuck in these but I still end up with a kid or 2 getting through them until they are about 2 weeks old.