question for all you soapers.....

Discussion in 'Personal Creations' started by tallgirl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I have been researching making soap, and lotion, and am getting so excited about it! I am wondering how profitable is it to make and sell it? There are price breaks of course for supplies sold in larger amounts, and I am wondering should I dive in? or edge in gradually? How quickly do you get yours sold? How big is the market? What are the most popular items?
    It looks like so much fun! Thanks for your help.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To be honest - I am pretty new to it - but it is in how you can market, how much time YOU want to spend doing it, along with how much you want to start with (expense wise). Of course - this time of year is better for selling soaps than others. I personally started out with just enough scents to make a batch of each of the ones that I wanted. To be honest - the ones that I thought would sell out quickly - did not and the others are the ones that did!

I personally have been experimenting, playing with molds, colors, and different companies for scents to see what I like the best.

I would start small - make small batches so that they come out the way that you would like. In the beginning there are always some "imperfects"!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm making batches of cold process soap every week...still in the curing process but I'm working on a price now going by supplies and time, haven't put any up for sale yet. I'm not "into" the fancy colored soaps, natural with light scents are more my thing. Getting everything ready for orders has been a trial due to my work schedule and the busyness of the holidays.

I got some of my oils and scented oils from www.brambleberry.com
    Kelebek gave me that link...she's got a whole "business" going now!

4. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Finally something I know a little about! Soaping is great fun and not as much work as it would seem. If you read through the posts here is sounds like everyone is making it. But in the general public that is not so. There's plenty of room for another good soaper.

Step 1: Research I especially recommend a book called: The Chemistry of Soap Making.

Step 2: Start small with cheap ingredients until you are sure of your process.

Step 3: Have a good understanding of what you are putting in your soap and why you are putting it in there. If you don't know why it is there, maybe it shouldn't be there?

Step 4: Research
    Good luck and good soaping!

5. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

When I started making soap the goal was to pay for the goats feed for the year. In the first six months I definitely covered that. I gave alot away in the beginning, I did two bazaars in the fall and then word started to spread. I am now working on trying to get into wholesale. I also dont do colorants just natural, and nobody seems to mind. I have ten fragrances and a couple will be discontinued. They just didnt sell as well as I expected. It doesn't take alot of time to make and there definitely is a market. Start small and work your way up.

6. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What would you all say are your top 6-8 sellers as far as fragrances or essential oils go?

7. I have never made any but when I buy soap I like the Peppermint or minty scent. I am not really into the flowery smells.

8. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I've just made soap for myself and friends... and am a newbie goat owner.. so my first batch was only a couple of months ago.. but it was alot of fun! I just wanted to say that I like lemon-y soaps as well as lavender. My first soap was not goat milk... but a regular recipe with oatmeal added and fragranced with lemon and lavender essential oils. The next soap was a goat milk soap with oatmeal and honey and just a smidge of vanilla (real vanilla extract) That has just a nice natural scent. Have fun with your experiments... and let us know how it all goes!
    Oh, forgot to say.. I've made shampoo bars for myself and friends also... I LOVE them!

9. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Lavender is by far a top seller for me. Oatmeal and honey which I don't scent at all (it smells like oatmeal) is second.

I don't use colorants or fragrance oils, only essential oils and those must be organic or wild crafted.

I sell wholesale to 4 stores: 2 boutiques, the farm store, and 1 flower shop.
    But I also sell at the farm market. The funny thing is that I got into soap as an excuse to have the goats, but it is the soap that is doing well.

Also, I only make 5 scents of soap and I am about to drop to four. They seem to sell better that way. I am going to test a new one though: Lemon Peppermint. That one's for you, Logan.

10. Randi, Thanks it sounds like it will smell great. Let me know how to buy some from you if you ship. :dance:

11. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Fragrances: Oatmeal, milk and honey with ground oatmeal
    Marakesh with oatmeal
    Lavender with dried lavender
    vanilla
    sandalwood
    patchouli-possible discontinue
    tropical vacation-discontinue
    apple spice
    lavender, vanilla and pomegranate
    blackberry sage

I tried to pick fruity, masculine, floral and soft fragrances but it is alot of inventory to keep up with. If I add a new one to replace the discontinued it will be something citrus.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I try and do a variety of scents but will only do those that smell good to me...I currently have 11 different scents on my website, a couple variations in oils too. I am not one for overbearing scents, just enough to make the "clean" smell good.