Question for any Oberhasli breeders

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by farmgirl42, Feb 27, 2010.

1. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm looking at possibly purchasing a bottle baby from a very reputable breeder. Baby has great pedigree, bred for excellent milk production.

Potential Problem: baby now on the ground and breeder advises it "has a small white spot on his head and a very small white spot on his side". Neither of these spots are large enough to disqualify (over 1.5 inches in any one direction).

Do any of you have experience with the "white problem"? How often/likely does it get passed onto the kids? Anyone know of any particular lines that are more prone to white spots?

Thanks!

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Once you have white, its very hard to get rid of. I never bought anything with white on it, or anything that had parents that had white (that I know of:)). Its just not wanted, especially on a buck. Its even worse if this has 2 white spots on it. White freckling isn't too bad, but I've never heard of there being a white spot on the side of an Obe. This is just my opinion however. There are people that have white on Obes and have done well, but to me its not a breed characteristic thats desirable.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agreed you dont want any white

white comes when it is bred up from an experimental

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Thanks for the input. That's what I was afraid of. :sigh:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    if its freckling on the nose, thats ok because I've had kids that grow out of the freckling as they get older. Actually spots, no matter how big or little, is not favorable at all to many breeders.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Nope i wouldnt do it. even though its not a DQ in the ring its a fault. And if your doe was being compaired to another doe in the show ring. If they were so close a judge was having a hard time making a decision, the other doe (the one that didnt have white) would take the class.
    beth