Question for those that are familiar with 4-H

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FarmGirl18, Feb 11, 2009.

1. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, quick question here, I have a young Boer doe I'm selling that somebody might want to buy for their kids to show in 4-H, they're new to this and were wondering to what age can you show a doe? I know with wethers you can only show to a certain age/weight or something but am not really familiar with 4-H stuff at all. Thanks!

2. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    It really depends on the area. They need to talk to someone who is in charge of the shows.

Here does shown in the commercial circuit have to be under a year. At the state fair though is in commercial they have to be under two. If they're showing in the open or junior ABGA show the doe can be any age.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Is she registered? If she is I don't think that there's a limit. But I can ask if you want me to. :wink: I can let you know for sure tomorrow.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yup she is registered, That would be great if you don't mind asking, I could just tell the folks I don't know, but I prefer to be helpful if I can. :) Thanks!

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I don't mind. I'll let you know tomorrow. :wink:

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Crissa, you're great! :hi5:

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    You're welcome. :wink:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Here you have to be six to be a jr. Unless youre with a larger animal (beef/dairy cow/horse) then you have to be ten. If you are under eight you have to use a nigerian or pygmy or a baby goat. I think this was added because people were letting their kids show full sized does that the child couldnt control, they were getting drug all over the ring. At the age of four you can show as a peewee here, you just get a participation rosette and usually a bag of prizes. At six you can show as a jr.
    beth

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, are we talking about the goats age or the kids age?

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma