Question for yall about Shivering

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MadCatX, Dec 1, 2020.

1. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    So most of yall know I have two pet goats lol and also most of yall know ill worry for nothing, come here post, and we have a laugh.

So same situation
    Clyde is shivering, our temps in GA have been a roller coaster. He's bulking up his fur, hes dry, eating normal being normal. So this is more just a question for a newbie. (still)

When is too much shiverring bad and while I need his coat to grow out, any tips or tricks? Sometimes I bring them in to stand by the fire which...ends up a battle so see who can get closer and Clyde in his infinite goat wisdom singed his side hair (not bad, no burning) i grabbed him and he was mad i did, smoldered goat fur is horrible.

friesian49 likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Certainly deep bedding, no drafts and hay to eat help. If it seems too cold and a goat is shivering too long, I will put a dog coat on them at night. I take it off during the day. Most of the time they shouldn't need one but you are the one looking at them and caring for them. I see no problem putting a coat on to get them through an unusually cold period that they can't seem to deal with. With that said, it has been a rare occasion that I have needed to put a coat on a goat and I'm in Ohio.

3. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Thanks Ill get them a fresh bale today after work. We atre in the 30s we had some flurries that did not stick, but i need to note, on Thanksgiving we had on shorts and Tshirts, today we are wrapped up like @ReNat in Russia.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and ksalvagno like this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Lots of good hay (a full rumen is a warm rumen) warm water if they will drink it. Mine like hot water (104ºF) I do not add molasses except after a kidding, deep straw and a coat if needed. A shot of Vitamin B complex if you think he is coming down with a cold.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and friesian49 like this.
  5. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Thanks all and nope he's good. It amazes me how a buck will pee on himself in the freezing weather. lol

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California