Question For You All

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jan 4, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so I advertised Sassy's buckling and got a response almost right away. First off, this guy wanted me to lower the price to $300 and I said no, he is $375. So, he agreed to pay it and said he sent the check on Friday. I put "probably reserved" on our website and was waiting. . . . well, this morning he emails and says he has to back out and to "please dispose of my check when it arrives." I really, really want to just cash it. On our website, we say, "deposits are non-refundable" - would that apply in this case?? Oh, the deposit is for $50.

I'm thinking the check should be here tomorrow. What would you do if you were us??

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I am sorry but I would cash it. You said they are not refundable so if he can not read that is his problem.
    But if you cash it and they stop payment on it them you might have to pay a fee depending on your bank.

Have you contacted him and told him that the deposits or payments are not refundable?

I would still worry about what type of home the goat would be going to also.

3. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    i would reply back to him and say deposits are non refunable even if you back out of the deal. im sorry but you already sent me the check so i cant refund you the money.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree, but I would be careful. If he does stop payment on that check it can be a real hassle.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does it cost money to stop payment?

I was thinking of not emailing him until tomorrow AFTER I've cashed the check. . . . Does that sound bad?? I figure if he doesn't know I am going to cash it then he won't stop payment. Why do I feel evil saying this??! :question: :angel2:

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Wait to see what bank it's from. Cast it at his bank if you can.
    It does cost to put a stop payment on the check, and possibly he
    can't do it till the bank opens, unless he banks online, but I don't think
    they can stop payment that quick. If you can, aviod putting it
    through your account.
    Like it says on your web site deposits are non refundable.
    Tell him (tomarrow) that he can save the deposit
    for another goat if he wishes..

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, this is a bad situation. Did you tell him in an email that deposits are non refundable? If you did then I would probably cash it and then copy the sent email and show him that you DID say in the email. If you didn't then I wouldn't cash it...Unfortunately if he's starting out with goats or is in the goat business, your reputation could get ruined because of what he is saying even if it's not true or he was misunderstanding etc.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, don't deposit it but just get the cash from it?

Kylee: It's on our website and any person looking into buying goats from us should look at our policies, it's one of the first ones. I think he is actually getting out of goats now. He has LaManchas and was going to breed for mini-manchas with this little buck. But I think he's selling out now. . . . . I'm so glad my buck didn't go to him!

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I wouldn't deposit it.
    I had the same situation happen to me a year ago, had to back out of
    buying that little Poppy Patch buck, she held onto my $$ and now I am
    using that for my doe!
    It says it on your web site, no refunds..

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's true. When looking for my next purchase....I am ALWAYS checking out their policies, before I contact them. In that case, I'd cash the check for sure! And then email and tell him.

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I ment I wouldn't deposit it, I would cash it. Don't run it through your bank incase he does stop payment on it..hope he doesn't

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just be up front and honest with him, remember honesty is the best policy and could save you from getting a bad reputation as a seller.
    Send him an email or call him and tell him you are sorry that he changed his mind about this buckling, and that if he would like to choose another goat to put the deposit towards you would be happy to do so. If not, once again you are sorry but the deposit is non refundable as stated in your sales policy statement. Tell him the reason that the deposit is non-refundable is due to the fact that he was the one that backed out of the sale, and you may have lost another sale while dealing with him. Therefore you must now take your own valuable time to readvertise and resell this goat. Then kindly thank him and tell him you hope to get his business in the future should he decide to reinvest in another goat in the future. :thumbup:

13. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I'd cash the check. All deposits here are non-refundable.

I agree with the above post. :)

Goodluck!

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I guess I am just different but if it were me I would mail the check back to him or tear it up. Here unless I have already cashed or deposited the check it really doesnt belong to me. I had a lady in the past send me full payment for two wethers for her mom (she lived in Texas and her mom lived here in TN) and before the check got to me her mom got upset and decided she didnt want them so her daughter called me in a panic afraid I wouldnt give it back to her. I told her I loved my goats more than money and if her mom didnt want them anymore then they would stay here rather than go to them only to be sold to who knows who or be kept by someone who didnt want them. I later found a wonderfull home for them both for more money so in the end it all worked out. If you keep the deposit be prepared for him to have the right to buy him and do with him what he wants.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Only way I would depost or cash it is if he had been promising a deposit for a long time and after weeks of waiting had backed out and it really came. Otherwise I would tear it up or mail it back. Especially if it was timely when it arrived.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, he is selling all of his goats now and will not be buying him, I know that for sure. . . .

I'm getting ready to email him and tell him about our policy. I realize he is probably going to cancel the check (I haven't received it yet, should be getting it tomorrow).

How does this sound?

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Olivia,

If it was me, I would just let him know that you are returning the check to him, but that typically there is a no refund deposit. Reason being is that sometimes things happen. Now if you would have received it and deposited it, and it had been like 2 weeks and then he asked for a refund, then I would say no.

I would just explain that you will refund it this time, but typically this is not an option, or that he can put it on a different animal.

I might be a little to leinient with people, but I like to keep people happy. It only takes one person to get upset and start spreading garbage. And if that one person knows alot of people, then you are really up a creek. (especially since he is in to goats already!!!)

Just my thought.

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Well, I already sent that email - I am pretty positive that he'll cancel the check which is okay, I guess. I had someone else inquire about him today. . . .

I don't think he'll spread any bad rumors or anything either. It is on our website, plain, simple, and clear. He is just a "backyard" goat owner, he even lives in Portland and I don't think he has acreage, probably just a large yard. Doesn't show, only milks for his family.

So, anyways, thanks all! :)

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    IMO, since you haven't received the check yet it would be unethical to proceed. If you'd already deposited the check...made out transfers...cleaned and trimmed and vaccinated the goat...etc, then I think you'd be right to keep at least "some" of the money. But, obviously something bad has happened for him to cancel so suddenly. Oh, the bank charged ME $35.00 once on a check someone wrote me on a CLOSED account. It'll cost him probably $20-25 to stop payment on the check.

I usually treat people like I would want to be treated. Doesn't always work out for me...I've been taken advantage of more than once...but, I sleep well at night.
    :sigh:

20. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yes, there is different situations were you should or should not keep the deposit, even though you have non-refundable in your policies. I have kept deposits and I have returned them. Each situation is different, and you must consider the events that surrounded it. After learning this man may have lost his job and is getting out of goats all together because of it... maybe in good conscience you would just want to tear it up. I think you would feel better about the whole situation if you did. :hug:

Best of luck in the resale of the goat! :thumbup: