The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Moccasin Creek Ranch
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start my goat business just as soon as I have made a few basic decisions and made sure I have a safe and comfortable facility.

First, I live in a climate that is VERY hot and humid in Summer (Northeast Texas). Can fiber goats like Angora be comfortable in this climate and will they produce quality coats?

Second, which is basically more profitable - Boers or Angoras? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Please point me to the best source of information or if you take time to extoll the differences here, I heartily appreciate your effort.

thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
572 Posts
Angora goats will do just fine there. In fact the breed really got started in Texas and there are still a lot of breeders there.

As far as profitability, it really depends on the market in your area. Both can be profitable. In some areas fiber sells more than goat meat. In other areas it is the opposite. I would research the market in your area by talking to local breeders of both breeds, talking to your extension agent, and even seeing how goats sell at your local sale barn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts