question from a friend

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Copied and pasted a message from a friend of mine who has two goats, one kidded and had quads, but only one survived,

"Our two goats had their kids last week. Becky had 4 but 3 were dead, something went wrong as she went into labour a week early and there was a lot of brown blood. The first was fine and seemed to be in a separate water bag, the other 3 were dead."

Any idea what might have happened. She lives about 2-3 hours from me.

Bridgt

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like the mom had triplets and then a single and the first set of triplets died.

If the buck was around and there was even a remote chance he bred her earlier then that would account for the one full term and the others dead beings that they would have been to early to servive.

3. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    She doesnt keep a buck, as they just have the two goats, - they run a dairy cow herd, and some sheep. I guess 4 was too much for the goat to have and her body wasn't able?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Could she have possibly gotten hit by the other goat which would have caused the kids to be stillborn? You said they had sheep, are the sheep running with the goats? Could she not have gotten enough minerals?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Brown is usually a good indication that the babies have been dead for at least twenty four hours. It could be any number of things. They may not of been healthy, the doe may of gotten a uteran infection. She may of been butted too hard. Its really hard to say because there is so much that can go wrong with any pregnancy.
    beth

6. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    I mentioned those things to her. oh well - she did get one little buckling though! I also mentioned this site to her as being fantastic and a wealth of information and she is going to look into it, she is from Carlow. B

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was also going to say that it sounds like the others were dead for a bit. I would sure keep a eye on mom and make sure she does not run a temp.