The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the doe I'm getting soon (on spring break! Yay!) is supposed to be bred for a June kidding, how can I make sure she doesn't get to stressed on the 4+ hours ride here? We'll be transporting her in a large dog crate inside the back of my mom's van. Is there anything else I should know about transporting her from one state to another? Thanks!

Here she is! :stars:
http://caperingvalleynubians.com/id116.htm

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
Re: Question.

My 2 cents - if she is going ot be in the back of a van no one will see you cross the state lines and why go through all that effort to get the vet check and all.

I have transported goats over statelines with no issues. It is when you have a livestock traylor that they will stop you and ask for the paperwork (but not always)

·
Registered
427 Posts

I think just being in the van with you will help her. We always carry my goats that way. I always give probios before the trip and after just to keep her tummy in good condition should the stress bother her rumen. I think that's just about all you an do. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
722 Posts

i agree with stacy. i have sold goats that were going out of state & in tyhe back of a van & no one stoped them to ask for any papers. also if the doe is reg with ADGA you can use the tattoo instead of a tag. i have taken my goats from maine to TN. TN to TX's & back to TN & i never got stopped once & i was pulling a stock trailer. i have gone it to KY twice to shows & never stopped. so i would say in the back of a ven they won't even know.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

yup i agree with stacey too. being in the back of a van you can only see the top of the crate and really cant twll what it is upon a glance. I have even transported thirty + head of goats across from washington to oregon in a tock trailer with no paperwork more then a few times with no problems. Oregon never pulls people over for that kind of thing. We had a tailter with crates of kids and a pickup with five does in the back comeing from oregon into washington. Washington plates never once got stopped. Some state just have more important things i guess. Now i do carry registration papers in the seat with me. In case i do get stopped i can identify every goat. Any goat not registrered i write doen tattoo numbers and colors. not specific to breed standard cuz a cop wont know what a cou clair is (alpines) but tan front quarters black rear quarters black dorsal legs and marks on face + tattoos.
Kids coming from te airport i always have someon drive for me and i hold the kid on the way home. adults, i take a bag of baby carrots long, talk to them give them a few treats. they usually just lay dow and get comfy.
beth

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts

sorry shazze it took me so long to reply. i had sold one when i was in maine that was going to KY & they would use the adga tattoo instead of a scrape tag. now i am not sure if all states will do that but mine are show goats & i refuse to put tags in there ears. when i came up from tx to tn last march i had 2 does that were due to kid in a couple of weeks. i put them up in the front of the trailer & each had there own seperate space & i stopped every 2 hrs to check on them. the did just fine & kidded with no trouble. having traveled quit a bit with my girls the things i do is not give them a full meal of grain(i do give them hay the whole trip) & i give them all probios & nutra drench before i load them. i came from maine to TN in january & i had 13 does with me(9 of th3em due in april) & they got off the trailer like it had been a 3 hr ride.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I'll be getting Lyrae on May 2nd or 3rd! Someone's coming to pick up a horse anyways and said on their way down here they'd be more than willing to bring her to me! I really hope this doesn't fall out too! :leap:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.