Question. *Lyrae Update*

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay the doe I'm getting soon (on spring break! Yay!) is supposed to be bred for a June kidding, how can I make sure she doesn't get to stressed on the 4+ hours ride here? We'll be transporting her in a large dog crate inside the back of my mom's van. Is there anything else I should know about transporting her from one state to another? Thanks!

Here she is! :stars:
    http://caperingvalleynubians.com/id116.htm

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Re: Question.

I am not sure if you already know this but you need to find out your state's requirements as far as bringing in new goats from out of state. Some require scrapies tags and a health cert.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks for the reminder! I almost forgot! :doh:

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

You are very welcome! Glad I could help.

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay here's what it says, "CVI within 30 days of entry + individual ID compliant with USDA Scrapie Program" Does that mean a vet check-up and a scrapies tag? Where do I get a Scrapies tag again?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

My 2 cents - if she is going ot be in the back of a van no one will see you cross the state lines and why go through all that effort to get the vet check and all.

I have transported goats over statelines with no issues. It is when you have a livestock traylor that they will stop you and ask for the paperwork (but not always)

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Are you sure? I want to make sure I get everything right and don't ruin this.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if you are worried ask the breeder adn see what she says. If she thinks the border between you states is particular then you might want to. But she may know if it is necessary or not.

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay thanks! :greengrin:

10. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL

I think just being in the van with you will help her. We always carry my goats that way. I always give probios before the trip and after just to keep her tummy in good condition should the stress bother her rumen. I think that's just about all you an do. Good luck! :)

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN

i agree with stacy. i have sold goats that were going out of state & in tyhe back of a van & no one stoped them to ask for any papers. also if the doe is reg with ADGA you can use the tattoo instead of a tag. i have taken my goats from maine to TN. TN to TX's & back to TN & i never got stopped once & i was pulling a stock trailer. i have gone it to KY twice to shows & never stopped. so i would say in the back of a ven they won't even know.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yup i agree with stacey too. being in the back of a van you can only see the top of the crate and really cant twll what it is upon a glance. I have even transported thirty + head of goats across from washington to oregon in a tock trailer with no paperwork more then a few times with no problems. Oregon never pulls people over for that kind of thing. We had a tailter with crates of kids and a pickup with five does in the back comeing from oregon into washington. Washington plates never once got stopped. Some state just have more important things i guess. Now i do carry registration papers in the seat with me. In case i do get stopped i can identify every goat. Any goat not registrered i write doen tattoo numbers and colors. not specific to breed standard cuz a cop wont know what a cou clair is (alpines) but tan front quarters black rear quarters black dorsal legs and marks on face + tattoos.
    Kids coming from te airport i always have someon drive for me and i hold the kid on the way home. adults, i take a bag of baby carrots long, talk to them give them a few treats. they usually just lay dow and get comfy.
    beth

Attached Files:

13. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities

I just wanted to say that she is really pretty! I like her a lot. Fritzie, is that true in every state that you can use an ADGA tattoo instead of a scrapies tag? I did not know that.

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks so much everyone! That will make it so much easier on me and I bet on Lyrae too. :greengrin:

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I wasnt thinking about the van and not being able to see what was inside....duh moment on me...hehe I am good at that. It sure would be good if you dont have to do all of that to her and cause more stress.

16. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI

Yep, when I got Pixie she rode in the cab of a truck. She didn't have health papers or anything and it didn't cause any problems. I am sure it will be fine!

That is so exciting that she is coming so soon! :leap:

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay that's what we're doing!

Thanks Katherine, that helps. You have NO IDEA how excited I am!!! :leap: She's going to be a great addition to my herd!

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN

sorry shazze it took me so long to reply. i had sold one when i was in maine that was going to KY & they would use the adga tattoo instead of a scrape tag. now i am not sure if all states will do that but mine are show goats & i refuse to put tags in there ears. when i came up from tx to tn last march i had 2 does that were due to kid in a couple of weeks. i put them up in the front of the trailer & each had there own seperate space & i stopped every 2 hrs to check on them. the did just fine & kidded with no trouble. having traveled quit a bit with my girls the things i do is not give them a full meal of grain(i do give them hay the whole trip) & i give them all probios & nutra drench before i load them. i came from maine to TN in january & i had 13 does with me(9 of th3em due in april) & they got off the trailer like it had been a 3 hr ride.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Looks like I'll be getting Lyrae on May 2nd or 3rd! Someone's coming to pick up a horse anyways and said on their way down here they'd be more than willing to bring her to me! I really hope this doesn't fall out too! :leap:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ