question on copper deficiency and safegaurd

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok -

So I think that I am having some issues with my minerals and copper deficiency. I talked with another breeder here when I paid for my Nubian buck ( I know I STILL need to post those pictures) but she had me look at the minerals and what the feed store here reccommended is not the correct mineral and they have been on it for a year.

I have a few with fishtails, a couple that their coat is aweful.

Would you go ahead and bolus? If so what would you use and what dosage for minis and standards? Can you bolus pregnant does (about 1 week pregnant if they took)?

Now, Safeguard horse dewormer - I have only used albon and Ivormectin injectable since these goaties have been with me - would you go ahead and deworm since it is starting to get cold? I was thinking about safeguard as I can get that locally. I HATE ordering if I don't have to. Can I use safeguard on newly pregnant girls? What about kids? and if I can do kids at what age?

If you reccommend some other dewormer - please only ones that I can typically get locally.... thanks!

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I'm not sure how safe a copper bolus is for pregnant does. There is a form of copper called copper sulfate that can be added to drinking water or drenched (do not know the dose--but will try to find out) but only after the first month of pregnancy.

I can't answer any of the safeguard questions...I have never use it either.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Found it!

Copper Sulfate is sold as a "root killer" in the garden sections of most hardware-type stores...

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    As for the safeguard its best to double check but I think its one that is not safe for pregnant does.

I have never bolused, however I use SweetLix loose for my Boers & one Nubian. There are times when they really go to town on it, and sometimes will barely touch it for days.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have heard good things about sweetlix and I am going to see if they carry it here or not - I am not sure.

I will do some more research on wormers - I just want to do the babies and others if I can - since only 2 of the 20 some are possibly pregnant.

6. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Have you checked their eye lids to see if the NEED dewormed ?? Why do it unless it's needed.

But as for the Safe guard - safeguard is a very safe dewormer. That's because it's very mild. To my knowledge it's the mildest chemical dewormer on the market. So mild however, that it's not always as effective as needed. Some people won't even use it because they say it's worthless. it's all a matter of opinion, plus depends on what type of worms the goat/animal has. Different wormers are for different types of worms.
    So anyway, yes, Safe Guard is safe for pregnant does. And kids. I've never given a young kid chemical dewormer. I hate to mess with them to much when they're young. The soonest I usually deworm a kid is maybe 6 weeks old or so. Just like puppies or kittens, etc. if you read on dewormer for them it always says not to give to pups under 6 weeks or kittens or whatever.

Again though, it's pointless to deworm if there's not a worm problem ... so check their eye lids to see if they even need it.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Julie,

A couple of them, their eye lids look pale and I forgot to send a fecal into the lab when I sent everything else in.

Puppies and kittens can be dewormed with Pyrantal (Strongid) prior to 6 weeks (I used to work in a vet clinic for 8 years) it is just typically a puppy does not leave mom till 6 weeks.

Thank you for the info on Safeguard. I think that I will pick up some when I go to the feedstore tonight.

8. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I actually meant over the counter wormers.
    But yeah, Strongid can be given to pups and kittens under 6 weeks ... but not younger than 3 weeks. I deworm my English Mastiff puppies (I breed them). I go to the vet for strongid. Earliest I can get it for them is 3 weeks.

I need to get checking all of my goats to. That way I don't have to mess with it to much once it gets really cold. It's already getting chilly ! BRRR it was chilly today !! I need to do hoof trimming on everyone to. Fun Fun ;) I SHOULD clean pens out while I'm at it as well. :coffee2:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Julie - when you get done with yours, you can come do mine - hehehe!

I have about 1/2 the herd done with hoof trimming, vaccinations, and prepping for winter. I have all the bedding out, so once it gets just a little cooler, I can put the straw and wood chips down.

I have to pick up more CD&T tonight - have enough CL vaccine and then I am back out doing my chores after I get home from work, done feeding, done with "heat" rounds, and done cooking for the family! LOL!

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here is a topic I started about copper bolus. I know one breeder that gives that dose two times, two weeks apart if they show major signs of copper def. I haven't done that yet. Only done one bolus on most of mine this year.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I use the copper bolus, i open it and empty the contents into a plasitc ziploc baggy. I put that on top of my purina goat mineral in the bin/ I check tails and coats weekly. If i see a bald tail or off colors on my does ( black will turn reddish, lavender {togg color} will turn buckskin color, or if the hair start becoming really rough wavey and kinky) then that goat will get a pinch, A full grown dairy doe (a50 to 175 lbs gets just a small pinch in their grain. bucks are the same. The copper inthe bolus looks like small bits of pencil lead.
    AS for the wormer, safegaurd pyrantel and ivermectin are safe for pregnant does. Valbazen should not be given to pregnant does.
    hope this helps!
    beth

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you to everyone!

Now someone mentioned at one time - Quest - can you give that to pregnant does? And Corrid for cocci - can that be given to pregnant does and how young to kids?

Thanks All

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't think you can give Quest to pregnant does but I don't know for sure.

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't use quest on a pregnant doe, it's pretty strong.

I don't even give quest to my horses and it's dangerous to give to miniature horses.

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I use Cydectin Cattle pour on wormer given orally to goats at the rate of 1cc per 22 pounds, it's a really good wormer. It's not a good idea to give any type of wormer though until your preggo's are 50 days bred...unless you really need too. I wouldn't use it on kids until they are 2-1/2-3 mo. old.

Corid is safe to start kids on at 20 days old...when they are ready for their first round of cocci treatment...

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would use ivermectin horse paste instead of safeguard.