question on delivery

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by carmen escamilla, Aug 16, 2010.

1. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    i read on here on a another posting that when a nanny is getting ready to delivery she can be offered tums for caucium how much can we give them and what does caucium have to do with delivery kids and another thing is what is drenching i dont understand what this means i also had heard on here that a nanny can be given some med to help bring on the delivery what was it and where do i get this from thanks i need info if u can help anything will be greatful to hear...

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The reason you give the doe Calcium is to supplement her. If she gets Ketosis, it is because she is lacking in Calcium. If they are fed a good feed mix normally that will prevent it from happening, but like anything else, they are all different. Remember the babies are steeling a lot of Calcium for her.

As for giving a shot to bring on Labor, that is VERY dangerous. I would NOT do it unless something is wrong. Let the doe take care of it. I know people that do it to get a baby on a certain date, and then they realize the baby was not as far along as they thought, and it is dead, so please let nature take its course and if there is trouble call the vet.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im moving your post to the Kidding Koral -- try to post where your topic will get the most noticed for its questions :)

4. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if a doe is lacking in calcium her contractions maybe weak. By giving her calcium you are ensuring you are doing all you can to help labor along properly.

Drugs to induce are RX only so you need to get them proscribed by a vet and ONLY if you know the exact breeding date or you can have as sweegoats said some dead kids because they were born to early.

I like to let nature take its course though I have done a slow induce before she still didnt kid when she was suppose to :p darn goat