The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of doing my own fecal testing on all my animals. I bought a very detailed book with directions and images to compare what you are seeing on the slide. I have everything but the sugar water (which I can make by dissolving 1 lb of sugar in 355 ml water) and the centrifuge.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, not sure how to make post longer without it getting cut off and I can't see what I'm typing. Anyway, my question is once I get good at identifying species of worms and can do a egg per gram count can I offer my services to others? Or do you have to be a vet to do that? This method is the Modified Stoll's Technique and I know vets in this area only do fecal flotation and they don't give a epg count. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sorry, not sure how to make post longer without it getting cut off and I can't see what I'm typing. Anyway, my question is once I get good at identifying species of worms and can do a egg per gram count can I offer my services to others? Or do you have to be a vet to do that? This method is the Modified Stoll's Technique and I know vets in this area only do fecal flotation and they don't give a epg count. What do you think?
When you are typing and you can't see it touch the + like u are going to add a pic then just go back and you can see what you are typing

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
I happen to know Dr. Stoll really well. Dr. Anderson, when he was at Ohio State, was the one who modified her technique and gave it its name.

I would find out from your state ag department if that would be considered practicing without a vet license.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the only method that is recommended for camelids because they can carry small loads of certain types of worms that can cause clinical signs compared to cows and I think even goats. I know several camelid owners who will not run them with goats because they feel goats carry such large loads and contaminate pastures. I run mine together. I sent fecal samples to the person who wrote the book I got. Two from my goats and one from my camel. Goats came back with 500 epg (this was right after they kidded) of Strongyloides. My camel also had 500 epg Strongyloides and 17 whipworm. I was told by Dr. Anderson to worm my camel. I heard several different things on my goats. Some say don't worm if no clinical signs, some say worm if over 1000 epm. I wormed.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Are you where Dr Anderson is now? I really hated the day he left Ohio State. It always made me cringe when he said "interesting" because you knew it wasn't good. I actually haven't been back to OSU for anything because of feeling so angry about how OSU treated him right before he left. Plus they killed quite a few alpacas due to lack of knowledge when they got rid of all the alpaca knowledgable vets and residents. This was years ago but I still kind of hold a grudge.

Got out of alpacas in 2011. Had them for 14 years. Tried really hard to get Dr. Stoll to do goats but she just wasn't interested.

I thought that was a camel in your avatar.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you where Dr Anderson is now? I really hated the day he left Ohio State. It always made me cringe when he said "interesting" because you knew it wasn't good. I actually haven't been back to OSU for anything because of feeling so angry about how OSU treated him right before he left. Plus they killed quite a few alpacas due to lack of knowledge when they got rid of all the alpaca knowledgable vets and residents. This was years ago but I still kind of hold a grudge.

Got out of alpacas in 2011. Had them for 14 years. Tried really hard to get Dr. Stoll to do goats but she just wasn't interested.

I thought that was a camel in your avatar.
I'm in Kentucky, he has looked at some videos and X-rays for me on a foster alpaca I have. He seems very nice to help and offer advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts