Question on feed for pregnant goats

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Aug 5, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Quick question - if goats are pretty much just pets, dry, not pregnant, etc. and on a grain-free diet, i.e. just forage and good hay, at what point during pregnancy do you start adding grain and alfalfa, and at what amount? I've heard at the 5th month, do you start small? Any regimens would be much appreciated.

Goataddict likes this.
  2. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I fed my boers about a cup of grain per day for the last 2 months of the pregnancy and their kids were really big when they were born. I do not feed any grain when they are pregnant now and kidding has become much easier. They just get alfalfa hay. It will probably be different for Nigerian dwarfs though.

Jessica84 likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Depends on what you mean by "good hay" You need a diet that is at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio in her diet. Many grass hays are high in phosphorous and low in calcium as well as forage. If this is the case start on alfalfa hay or at least pellets. Last month of pregnancy if she is in great condition for grain - but keep an eye on her, some need it sooner. I do like to update a fecal before breeding, vaccinations if necessary and copper bolus and bo-se as needed. Always keep out a great loose mineral.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Those were my thoughts as well.

I was asking for a friend, but wanted to confirm since this is not my area of expertise.

Don't think my wethers will be kidding anytime soon!! :haha:

5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We don’t grain pregnant does, only lactating ones. We do feed alfalfa pellets, alfalfa and grass hay. This year we put out Vitalix protein tubs and really liked them. We’ll be putting them out again.