Question on hair loss

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tat2edlady, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Hi my billy has a couple of patches of hairless spots what could cause this and how do I treet it?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Could be many things -

Stress
    Lice
    Mites
    Fungal (ring worm)

Are the spots round? where are they located? Can you see any little black lice?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well it seems like all my does that kid go totally bald. I did do some tests on several last year, and this is what the vet found out it COULD be,
    Lacking in Cooper
    Lacking in Calcium
    Stress
    Lacking in Zinc,

Yes that is a lot of different things. I have a good Mineral that is high in Cooper (Sweet Lix), Stress, yes they just kidded so it could be that, Calcuim, I give them a Mineral Max to them all that is high in Zinc and Calcium, or I give CMPK.

Something else I have tried is giving them ALOE VERA juice.

4. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Ok went and combed through the hair and they just look like they have really dry skin bunch of white flakes I will get hubby to help me get a pic of billy butt as he wants to love me and I can't take pic with him rubbing on me .

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try aloe vera juice - near pharmacy at walmart, I got the berry flavor. Syringe 4-6cc per goat for a week or two, then add a little to their water for another week or two, you should see a difference in their skin and new coat

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like your in the same boat as many of us....my little black wether is loosing much of his hair to, started about 2 weeks ago shedding his woolie undercoat, didn't think much about it......this week his hair is thinning tremendously.....I'm at a loss also. I did go yesterday as Stacey suggested and bought some aloe vera juice.....so we will see...I have check and rechecked him for lice, mites.....his brother is not doing this at all, but he has a very different coat. I even dusted him with DE just in case of lice..... he also has dry flaky skin....I have loose minerals out at all times :shrug: .

7. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    ok will get the juice. Thank you

8. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Ok got the aloe juice and gave him 6cc of it but on closer look he has lost all the down hair but still has the guard hairs(the stiff hair) so what eles should I do for him.I have on hand right now Calcium drench and power punch but both are in liquide form.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as long as he doesnt loose all his hair you are good. Keep up the aloe juice, that will help his skin.

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ok, silly question; you give the 6cc orally right?

11. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Yes I gave it to him orally but he was not happy but my doe moca loved it.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you give the juice orally