The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, my milking goat (first time mother) gave birth to only one kid. I seperated kid and Mom at night, milked only once a day in the morning, reunited Mom and kid the rest of the day until night... and repeated this routine for 4 months. It work out well.
But this year I have two other goats pregnant that both will be having twins. My plan is repeat what I had done last year; seperate twins from Mom at night, then milk Mom out once a day in the morning, reunite twins to Mom to nurse all day, then repeat... seperate twins from Mom at night ( for about 4 months).
My question is: will the twins have enough milk to nurse off of Mom? I know it's a supply and demand thing... but now instead of one kid and two teets, it will be two kids with two teets.
Will this work without hurting Mom and her udder and teets.. since I will milking only in the A. M.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
Are you doing this from birth???? I would wait till they start eating grain and hay before I do that and would be more concerned kids are not getting enough to eat.....but I'm don't have dairy goats so could be wrong. I say give it a shot and see how it goes I know I have read on a site they do it that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.