Question on lineage for breeding purposes

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Feb 21, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I am looking at breeding possibilities for the future and was comparing some pedigrees. Can there be relations between bucks and does that go back to grandparents, great grandparents, and beyond? I am finding a few crosses in my pedigrees and wonder, can they be related distantly to make good pedigrees in the future? I am a newbie, and don't know these things. Please educate me!!!! :whatgoat:

2. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    A lot of times there are similar lines throughout pedigrees.... Many breeders 'line breed' which is breeding related animals to enhance good qualities. Unfortunately, it can also enhance the poor qualities. There is an ongoing debate about the difference between inbreeding and linebreeding.

Fiasco Farm has a very informative website, or you could simply look up 'linebreeding' online. Good Luck!

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    The pedigrees that I am comparing are very distant...like out to the ggrandparents and out to the ggggrandparents...is that still considered linebreeding?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It could be considered linebreeding if you want it to. I guess what i'm trying to say is...I have had goats with a great great grandsire on both sides of the pedigree twice, do I consider it linebreeding, no, because the sire and dam were not bred together to "linebreed'' onto that goat, it just so happened he was in the pedigree twice. So unless you are deliberately breeding two similar pedigreed goats together to line breed back to a distant certain goat it wouldn't really be considered line breeding.

Hope that makes sense. I think if you use the search above and type in line/inbreeding, there were a couple thread, I think, that has some good info. Otherwise, try google and do some research on it. ;) It's fun.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I was concerned about doing a diservice to the goats..so if it really isn't linebreeding that far back, now worries for me! Thanks!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    4hmama...has is great point... :wink: ...if you can breed the good qualities in your goats... it is not a disservice....at all ...you try to improve them.. I have seen beautiful linebred animals ...but remember ...to check ...if there are any defects... in the lines and if it is worth it.... because bad may come out as well as the good... :wink: :greengrin:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the thing with the nigerian dwarf breed is that it is still relatively new. THere are a few what you would call foundation goats that you will find in a good many goats pedigrees.

THere is no diservice to the breed if you see a goat being mentioned many times in yoru goats pedigrees and in others and you see those goats doing well. Obviously that dam or sire was a great addition to the breed as he/she has continually produced solid offspring who in turn did the same.

So yes you can breed distantly related goats without it being considered inbreeding or even linebreeding.