Question on Lyme in the goat area

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Sep 15, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would really like to put some lyme down to help dry out the area that we just scraped -

Have any of you used it - and if so -

1.) how long do I keep the goats out of that area after putting it down

2.) do you cover it with anything - like straw?

3.) can it "burn" the goats or cause ill effects to them? (it is a well venelated area)

4.) anything else I need to know?

Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I wish I could help Allison....but ...I never used it before...... :hug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on the type of lime used.... hydrated lime has calcium hydroxide as the main component, it will cause burns and other issues when it comes in contact with skin and mucous membranes. It is commonly used in agricultural applications, one of which being a disenfectant in dairy's.

If you can after you apply it, keep the animals out of the area for a few hours, do not breathe in the dust and if it's windy, you should wear eye protection. A layer of straw over it will help prevent any drying of the goats hoofs....it is a drawing agent and will pull moisture from skin.

I have used it mainly for the disinfecting of the wood floor in my barn...it has decking type floors so I was sweeping it thru the cracks to help with the smell under the barn, it is up off the ground and the waste collects underneath.....as far as the goats, they weren't happy being locked out and once back in after a layer of staw was laid over the floor they were fine, had no problems.

Garden lime is a less questionable type to use, does the same thing but the natural composition hasn't been altered......AGWAY stores carry this type readily.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Perfect - it is the hydrated if I remember right.

I have a way that I can do each side and block it off for at least a couple hours - but if need be I can do it for a day or two also....

Thanks so much - I am hoping to do this Friday night then and let the boys run loose until Saturday - then I will put the girls in the boys pen - and do theirs while the boys are out on Sunday or something.....

I also have those scent pellet things to put down under the bedding!!!

I have had so much going on - that once it is all finished - I will post pics of what we have done!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you havent already bought the lime look for Sweet PDZ -- it works just like Lime but isnt caustic or hurtful to the animals. Thats what I use - my agway doesnt carry the Lime anymore

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thats the name of it - thanks Stacey!!!

I have a bag of that to try also. Do you ever have an issue with the goats eating it>

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no they sniff it but they have never eaten it -- I usually let it stand for a couple hours and then put the hay on top. But if there was small kids around I just put the hay right on top just in case.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I use the PDZ. I put down a lot and have never had an issue.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ashley - what do you put over it?

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know at our fair in the goat pens they put lime down on the dirt and cover it with 6 inches to a foot of straw.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just put shavings over it, but they still mill it around and I know they end up laying on some of it. It's never bothered them. I don't put it directly below the hay rack, but thats the only place I don't put it.

Also I had one of the kids chew on the bag of it when I wasn't looking and I know they got some in their mouth. Nothing ever happened though.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, I use Sweet PDZ also. I put a lot down and it really helps soak things up and keep the smell down. I use it all the time, then I just put straw down. :thumbup:

13. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I use lime, I have a dirt floor with gravel over the top of that. I turn the goaties out to pasture, then clean the pen. After that I cover it with lime and let it set that way, usually for at least 3-4 hours, then cover with good layer of wood shavings. Never had a problem.