Question on mastitis in soon to kid does

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Sep 29, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If a doe that is due to kid bags up quite a bit - like A LOT, to the point where the udder is hard and sore, and it’s hanging incredibly low, but no kids yet... should she be milked out? I know the reasons you shouldn’t, but if it’s mastitis... Would the kid need colostrum replacer? Should the milk be fed to the kids? What would you do?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    How soon from kidding is this doe? If you have not expressed milk how do you know it is mastitis? Or is this a hypothetical?

MadHouse likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It is a hypothetical from something in the past and I’d like to know for the future.

Let’s say for the hypothetical she’d be do in 1-5 days.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'd check for mastitis with a test. If she has mastitis, milk her out and treat with ToDay. Hopefully she'll clear up in time for the kids. If not, you'll need to feed replacer until the milk is safe. If she's just inflamed but not mastitic, milk her down to relieve her. She will most likely still be producing colostrum when she kids (especially if you avoid milking her out completely), but if you're concerned that she might stop producing colostrum too soon, just freeze what you milk out so you have that colostrum on hand when the kids are born.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California