Question on Saca

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Sonrise Farm, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    mods, I didn't know where to put this---so just put it wherever you think is best. ;)
    As you know, Saca had stillborn bucklings yesterday, and so I am milking her and she is giving me about a quart a day.
    But a local lady who raises goats pulls the kids from their mom and birth and bottlefeeds them, says it eases the momma's pain of losing her babies to milk her three times a day.
    Does this actualy work or is it just myth? She is miserable and hoarse from bleating and I don't know what to do.
    Should I milk her twice a day, or three times a day?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you are home and can milk 3 times - she will probobly produce a little bit more - but I like my twice a day milkings.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    So you don't think it would have a sort of a calming effect on the mommy?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    personally - No, I do not. I think that is a way of reassuring oneself that they are doing the right thing.

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    It's just that she is so miserable and she isn't eating very well. She just stands there and cries and cries. . . it's heartbreaking.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She will grieve for a couple days - but milking her will only relieve the pressure on her udder - not the feeling of kids. She will be ok - just give her lots and lots of loves, molassas water, and extra treats.

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I agree with Allison... I don't see where milking her three times a day will help her greiving any :shrug: She will just have to go through her greiving process... I know it is hard to watch :hug: and I am sorry you are having to go through that.

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    thanks, Brandi. :hug:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    actually believe it or not, after the kid milking them more often does seem to calm them down some, I have no clue why. I don't think it helps with grieving though.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i found that when I milk the doe will turn her head back and sniff me and then she talks softly to me. It is like she accepts me as her "kid" so I can see how it would have a calming affect on the doe. Grieving is a different story.

Being out there with her is good so she doesnt feel "alone."

If she isnt eating then try to entice her to eat with yummy treats - crackers, popcorn, horse treats etc. Also give her some nutri drench (works wonders) and make sure she is drinking.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I've actually found it is easier on the mums to leave the dead kids with them, let them grieve and only take them away once the doe has dealt with it. One doe I had spent two days mothering her dead twins, I milked her out but left the kids in the pen with her, the third day she broke out of the mothering pen and didnt want the kids at all.

I've found they grieve for longer if you take the kids away and dont let them deal with it in their own way and their own time.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard the same too, I forgot that with Misty though this year :doh:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I know, its just our instinct, we are so disappointed we want to get rid of them straight away.

I actually learned this the hard way when two of my show heifers calved together in the hay, one had a heifer, one had a stillborn. I took the stillborn away but the mum was so confused she thought the other baby was hers, and she actually injured the real mum trying to defend 'her' calf.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are so right Keren. Our natural instinct comes out of our own grief but they dont know as fast as we do that it isnt alive.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, wow. I would have never thought of this. I don't think I could do it though, just personally. . . . if an animal dies I cry like crazy and couldn't stand to see the dead babies with the mom. But it is an interesting idea, I just couldn't handle it. :(

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah you could handle it knowing it was best for mom. Some get over it quickly and want nothing to do with the baby.

actually as i think back to it that is what happened with Misty. we left the kid there for her and she didnt want a thing to do with it.