Question on tattoo numbers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am not sure how to tattoo Dawn's kids. Since her first kid was DOA do I still count him as Y9 and skip to Y10. Or do I just skip him?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I have been sitting here thinking and my first response was oh just skip the dead one and use "its" tattoo. But then I got to thinking that you give the number in the litter on each kids registration and the dead kid should be noted (ie 5 in litter 3 boys and 2 girls).

I am interested to see what others who have done this longer then me would do.

You can always contact Amy K to see what she says to do.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    count him and skip to ten. that way you know how many kids were born that year and its just a records thing

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I count all the kids. It seems like the right thing. Just because he was DOA does not mean he wasn't born. Not sure if that made sense. . . . sorry for the loss of the little one. :(

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    This is tricky and is entirely up to you. If the kid comes out dead I don't count them on my tattoo record. At least I haven't this year. If the kid is born alive and then dies for whatever reason I did count it. Right now my tattoos are at 33 but we actually had 35 born. Faith had quadruplets and 2 buck kids died inutero after their cords broke before birth. So I didn't number those kids. Its up to you how you want to do it. The registries won't give you problems about skipping numbers. I DO NOT USE 13 on any goats. So for my tattoo record I go from Y12 to Y14. Actually one of the registries accidently registered Y14 as V14 so either way it doesn't matter. Some people never register goats you sell so the registry won't care.

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I have never had a DOA kid (thanksgoodness) but I have had 2 wethers that I did not register or tattoo and I didn't skip a number for them.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah registries don't usually care what you assign to a kid so long as its assigned something. They don't care if its in order or even if it comes with the right letter for the year. Its just suggested. Its purpose is just for identification of the goat later on so order means nothing.