Question on the kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GSFarm, Feb 1, 2008.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    As you know we've had a big, yet short baby boom here on the farm. The last two twins that were born seem to be a lot weaker than the other kids. They sleep tons more and don't play as much. They both weighted three pounds at birth (Jan 29th) The boy was born with weird back feet and he walks on the weird. I put wrappings on them but it hasn't seemed to help. He has a hard time walking and isn't able to play as much. Is there anything I can do for these twins? I'm worried about them.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Is it possible they could be selenium deficient?

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats what it sounds like to me, i would give them a very small amount of Bo-Se, I give my big dairy kids one half a cc at birth, so maybe one fourth a cc for these guys? I have never had nigerians.
    Is he walking with his feet buckled over towards the front? If so this is retracted tendons and this is a commen sign of selenium deficiancy.
    beth

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to agree with you all. I would also give him some Nutra Drench. It will give him some energy that he needs.
    Is he able ot nurse enough form mom? Make sure he can get around enough to eat or you will have to help him until he can do it on his own.
    Good luck

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup I agree - sounds like you need to acquire some BoSe or some selenium gel.

6. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I gave him a little Selenium E Gel when he was born.
    Right after I typed this I ran down nd check the goats out. I stood him up (he'd been sleeping) and checked his legs which are actually straight now. I carried him outside and he ate and is walking around a lot better. I'll give him some Nutri-Drench as well.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sometimes it takes legs a few days to straighten out. I had an alpine buck kid born a few years ago he was the last of triplets, poor guy couldn't stnad and his ears were all folded and kinked. We think it was just from being on the bottem and holding everyone else up. It took mis a few days to straighten out.
    beth

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    It could definatly be the way he was positioned in utero. Glad to hear he is doing better. What about the little doe?

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sounds like he was just cramped when he was in his mom :wink: Glad to hear he's better though :)

10. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    The little doe is going well. She will never leave her brother's side. She's VERY protective of him. She will always get up when he does and lay back down when he does. She never leaves him alone. She's a great little girl.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
  13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thats very good that he's getting better.Somehow I completely missed this thread.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Cha-Cha's front feet are a little curved. I'm watching her. I give my dam's Selenium when pregnant. I've only seen a couple kids like this here and they do all straiten out on their own.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that he's doing better, and the bond his sister has with him is so sweet.