Question on trimming hooves

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Not sure where this belongs. Mods, if you need to move it, please let me know where I can find it again. Thanks!

I have never clipped my goats feet before, but I just bought a goat a couple of months ago that needs a trim. Problem is, the outside wall on one side has completely curled under the hoof. It seem fine, but I know I need to cut that part away. Do I just use a hoof knife? and how can I do it properly with the knife? I'm sure I can do it, but I just need a little explanation, because I am afraid of the knife slipping and cutting her.

Thanks in advance!
    ~D

2. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Check out staceys website - she has a great article with pictures - use hoof trimmers - much nicer than a knife.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I forgot to mention that she is a large goat. Her hooves a very big and thick. Does this matter? Those clippers look small...

cute pygmys!

5. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    No - I use the same ones on my LaManchas and they've got large thick hooves.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes they will work fine. I have used them on large breed wethers with no problem.

If you have a milking stand or a way to restrain her that will make trimming go a whole lot easier.

For the folded over part just slip the trimmers underneath and then cut. From there you can see more of what needs to be cut off the rest of the hoof.

I have used garden pruners but after purchasing the hooftrimmers I will never go back to the pruners on purpose, they work so much better

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Where can I purchase these clippers? I used pruners to do the rest, and it was a pain in the *sensored*! LOL. Are hoof knifes good for anything then?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    you can also get a set of fiskars titanium scissors from Menards. They work very, very well. Any the drummel hand tool is awesome for an excellent finish after trimming the excess on a goaties hoof. Just remember to wear safety glasses.

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Cool! Thanks. I can't afford them at this time. But I will have to put them on the list. A hoof knife is what farriers use on horses. You can use them on goats too, but it can be a little tricky. I used to have horses, but goats are so much smaller.