Question On Wormer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crossroads Boers, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Crossroads Boers

Crossroads Boers Colorful Quality Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    Hi,
    I have two pregnant Boer does with mange/mites that I am trying to cure. I want to use what I have for treatment right now, and want to use Ivomec wormer. However, I just wormed them with that on Jan 16th. Would it be a bad idea to use it again so soon? :ponder: I also read that Ivomec injectable will work better if given orally. Has anybody found that to be true?

Thanks!
    Victoria
    Crossroadsboergoats.web.officelive.com

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to treat mites you will want to inject it. dosage is 1cc per 100lbs

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Is Ivomec Injectable (regular kind) safe for preggo doe's, AND it cures the mites/mange issues?

For some reason I had thought only the Ivomec PLUS killed the mange/mites issues.... and that it was a no-no for the preggo's...

Clarification please????? :chin:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The plus is just for liver flukes

The plus is safe for pregnant goats. Some people will say otherwise and its their choice e not to give it to their
    pregnant goats

5. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    Does anybody know how soon you can re-de-worm again with the same de-wormer? I used Ivomec almost two months ago. Is that long enough?
    Thanks,
    ~Victoria

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is 10 days later.... to get the hatching eggs ...

I for one... will not use it on my preggo's...I believe it is unsafe.... :(

7. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    Thanks Pam.

I have always used Ivermectin on my pregnant does, and they have never had any problems. In what way do you think it is unsafe? I don't want to use it anymore if it is not safe for my preg. does.

Thanks, :)

~Victoria

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Pam doesn't like to use the plus on her pretty does. The bottle says its safe as did my vet

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You know... I hear so many conflicting answers on it ...that scares me into not using it..... it is up to each breeder I guess but... for me... I don't want to risk it with the Ivomec Plus.... :wink:

HeHe....thanks Stacey... :laugh: No... I do use it.... but not when they are preggo.... :thumb:

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So Pam only uses the Ivo PLUS on her "PRETTY" doe's but not on her "PRETTY PREGGO" doe's - :ROFL: :slapfloor:
    Is that what we've determined, LOL!

@Crossroads - I think it's best to specifiy WHICH Ivermectin is being used... there are SO MANY variations, it can get extremely confusing :scratch: ...Ivomec, Ivomec Plus, Ivomec Eprinex, Ivermectin horse paste, Ivermectin w/other ingredients mixed in (such as Zimectrin paste, Equimax paste) etc. etc. ..and I think each is a bit different than the next...whether it's strength, doseage, uses, etc.
    Which Ivermectin do you usually use? I'm sure it's just fine, but clarification will help the others answer your question correctly. Wouldn't want to point you in the wrong direction :wink:

11. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    Hi Traci,

The Ivomec we use just says on the container "Ivomec" and in parentheses under that it says(Ivermectin).

Pam, you have lovely does!!! I love your Boers. :eek:)

Thanks for all your help!!!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK too funny...HeHe....yes that is what we determined.... :ROFL:
    You are so right...it is super confusing that is for sure... :wink:

your welcome... :thumb: Plain Ivomac is safe for preggo's.....the Ivomac Plus... I worry about giving....

Thank you for the compliment on my Does.....it is greatly appreciated... :greengrin: :thumb:

13. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    my vet said that he would inject ivomec plus because he wasn't sure how the "plus" part would do orally. I also read that if you have a heavy worm load you shouldn't do orally because it goes through too fast and causes internal bleeding.
    I use ivomec plus on my wethers every once in a while. I don't realy have to worry about them being 'preggo' though :)
    M.