The Goat Spot Forum banner

Question Regarding Coughing

643 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Desert Viking Ranch 
#1 ·
I have a pregnant doe who has been coughing for the last month or two. The coughing is usually 3-5 coughs and comes at random times (not due to running) usually several times a day. I would not say it is very frequent but I can usually notice her coughing 1-3 times throughout the day when I am outside working around the area. Rarely, it turns into a coughing fit for up to about 10 coughs or so. Aside from the coughing her behavior is normal. It is also very dry and dusty here in southern Arizona right now and I considered that as a factor, yet the other does don't exhibit the same behavior. I have all but decided it is most likely lungworm; I can't seem to come up with anything else on my own and would like some help diagnosing this if possible. I am also concerned about treatment at this point because she is due March 1st and will be her first time kidding; and if it is lungworm will that pass to her kid(s)?

#2 ·
Could be allergies..... if it is real dusty.... or just the dust blowing into her lungs...it would be the same as.... you and me..... we cough... if we breath in dust..... Is there anyway to water down the area a bit to keep the dust down? :wink:

#3 ·
Some animals are more susceptible to allergens than others, just like people, so it may still be a sensitivity to the dry and dusty conditions.
Ivermectin injectible is safe for preggers, it also kills lungworm....when was she last wormed and with what?

#4 ·
I could water down the area, but short of creating a mud slick it would evaporate within hours and be a constant battle. Usually they are in pastures which don't have a lot of open dirt but they are in the closest pen for kidding and monitoring right now.

I never thought of allergies, is there anything else to help confirm allergies or any treatments? I try to be very careful not to over medicate to help let their own immune systems stay strong.

I did treat her with Ivermectin about 2 months ago when I first noticed it; didn't know if later term pregnancy was still safe to use it. Also, it was pour-on which I later learned is not very effective in goats (is that true?) and I should have used the injectable. I did notice a slight decrease in the coughing but now it's back to "normal". Is this type of treatment she may have to receive fairly regularly, i.e. how persistent is lungworm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.