Question sent to Arbor Day (trees) RE: Goats & Pine trees

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Suellen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I sent this email to the Arbor Day Foundation to see if they could give me some information about Goats and Pine Trees.

"I am a goat owner. There have been questions among my goat owning friends as to which Pine trees are safe and which are unsafe for goats to eat. I have read different things in my search on the internet and one of my concerns is that some pines can cause abortions in goats. I have yet to find information as to which pine trees cause this. Any help would be appreciated."

I figure these people deal with trees they might know something about them. I'll let you all know if I get any response.
    Suellen

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually if I remember right its the ponderosa pines and yellow pines are the ones that have been known to cause abortions, that was in sheep or cattle though. there was a discussion on the yahoo lists a while back about it. Our goats eat white pine, blue spruce and douglas fir and have never had any problems.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hehe - I have NO idea what type of pines I have - I just know I have lots. When ever there is a wind storm, you can see them lined up under the shelter looking at all the limbs that fell and as soon as the last rain drop hits the ground - bam - the race is on!!!!!!!!!!!

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol Allison your cracking me up today xD