Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Droopymole, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    If a three day old baby goat were kicked by a 19 hand Tennessee walker, what are the chances of survival?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my Droopy!

I hope the little baby is going to be ok!

3. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    He keeps trying to walk, but he can't stand up very well.
    and he's foaming at the mouth......

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is awful- That is a lot of punishment for a baby to take but sometimes they can recover very well. I hope so for him.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Well I'm not trying to sound morbid, but I don't think he's going to make it.

6. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Well, I just went down, and he's up walking around, but he's still a tad shaky. He stopped foaming and drooling, but I think he may be okay. He's eating, so that's always good.

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Where'd he get kicked? You might want to try giving him warm molassas water if he can drink.

8. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    I don't have molasses....can't afford any either, hmmm....any alternatives?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt' worry about the molasses for a young kid right now. Just keep him calm and in an area where he can't bump into things.

was he kicked in the head or just his body? did his head hit anything?

My concerns are for head tramma

10. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    I have no idea, I didn't see it happen. His mom came and got me and took me to him. she was yelling and screaming and kept pushing me because she wanted me to follow her.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh wow that is a good mama goat! And so sweet too. (sorry I know this is serious but boy I just love it when they realize we can help them)

12. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    I know! She blew me away! To think that she thought to come and get ME to help her, it was cool!

she kept butting and pushing me in the direction of where the baby was, she wanted me to go! lol

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are amazing creatures.

and if she was that intune to her kid it makes me think even more that the doe and buck had something wrong with them from the beginning. She knew best.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, MY. That sounds like it hurt. If you don not have the $$ for molasses, I am sure you can't get Nutra drench. That is what he needs. That would be really good for him, or some Arnica Montana. That is GREAT for being sore. I take it when I know I am going to be sore, or I am and it really helps. I would just watch him really well. If you do not see any improvement then he needs to go see the vet. He could very well have internal problems. If you see any blood for his nose or anywhere, then you know he has them. 3 days old, that is really young for such a hard blow. Or really you have NO idea that is what happened to him in the first place.
    Lets say it did not. Did mom get her CDT 2-6 week before he was born?

15. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Her what? These kidding were unplanned, the doe was pregnant when I bought her, so I wasn't sure how far along she was.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Are you directing that to me? Her CDT?. That is a vaccine that they need. The mom needs it 2-6 weeks before she kids, so the baby get some. If you are not sure, you need to give it to them. It is only 2CC under the skin. Mom and baby both will need it. Now the baby really needs to be two weeks old in order for it to do any good for the baby.
    All Goats should have it once a year. the baby will need it at two weeks, then 4 weeks from that and another 4 weeks from that.