Questions about a 17 day old buckling...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MiddleRiver, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is constipated for the most part, will pass small amounts of baby berries (well they are hard and more of a bananna shape ) on his own, but has been getting an anema everyday as well, i wanted to ask these questions over the weekend, but i don't have internet at home :+(

Anyways, i'm wondering whats causing this, he and his twin sister are both being bottle fed their dam's milk. I've also started adding some probios to their bottles, and that seemed to help just a little.

This is what really worried me - i think he has worms - but am wondering just how possible this is - i worm all my herd regularly and get fecals done to make sure it's working, plus these two aren't even in with the herd - they are in the house. I've seen what i'm pretty sure is an actual worm in his poop, about an inch long and like a round skinny noodle, white - it kinda looks like what i've seen in puppies right after they are wormed at 6 weeks.

Can i worm him at this age ? I have valbazen and 1.87% ivermection ( horse paste ). What should i use and how much ? Thanks !!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Thanks for the links Stacey, but i can't really tell still which ones they were - looks more like a round worm, but one of the TW pics looked like it too. I think i'll just worm them anyways though, as long as it can't hurt them at this age.

I have the horse paste ivermectin ( 1.87% ), valbazen, and i might have some liquid safe guard ( for goats ) but it froze - is it still good ? I was frozen for a while before i noticed. What should i worm them with and how much ? Thanks !!!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    horse paste needs to be given at at least 3 times the horse dosage (so calculate the weight of the goat by 3). Not sure about the wormer that froze, can't see why it would be harmful to give unless on the bottle it says to not freeze.

I would give both wormers as safeguard is what will treat the tapeworms and Ivermectin will not.

I have also heard that even the goat safeguard needs to be given in a higher dose then is on the bottle. Why you ask? because no one wanted to put the money into extra research on it so they could put a higher dosage on the bottle. And they are leaving it to the vets to tell people that. :shrug: The wonderful thing about safeguard is, it is safe and you cant od them on it

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've used frozen ivermectin on the horses. Didn't bother them at all. Don't know if it was effective but I know it didn't hurt them. So your safeguard is most likely fine.

I think you can add a little veggie oil to his bottle to help him stay regular. Someone correct me if I am wrong since I haven't had many bottle babies.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Please be careful using the 1.87% horse paste ivomec as it is almost twice as strong as the injectable 1% ivomec is and ivomec is the only wormer that crosses the blood brain barrier and you can kill a young kid if you overdose the ivomec. The ivomec paste imo is too hard to dose for small kids. Most people dose 1% ivomec at 1cc per 50 lbs some do 1cc per 35 so if you use the 1.87% the dose would be aprox 1 cc per 100 or 1cc per 60lbs then try to break that down for a small kid it is near impossible. At this kids age valbazen is the only wormer I would use and the dose is 1cc per 10lbs. IMO at 17 days old they are really too young to have worms due to the time it takes for worm eggs to be ingested and then hatch. They will have stringy mucus like stuff in their poo at times and this is normal. But if you really feel the need to worm them Valbazen will work and is very safe.