The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may show how ignorant I am on the subject, but can someone explain why it would be important to get your goats registered with the ABGA? Does it have to do with milking or showing the goats? I'm just curious because I see a lot of threads on tattooing and getting your goats ready for the ABGA, but I just don't know the concept behind why.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I couldn't explain it in words, so here is what the ABGA says: "ABGA is a registry association offering marketing and education information, and registration and pedigree tracking for producers and youth in the commercial meat goat, show stock and seed stock industries."

Reactions: SleepingDogRanch

·
Super Moderator
83,719 Posts
With ABGA registered goats, you can get more, money wise.

I myself, have all my foundation herd FB registered. I have the choice on if I want to register their offspring or not.
Or if they are worthy, LOL.

Showing in ABGA shows can be a part of a registered boer. But not necessary.
I have a lot of buyers who prefer registered goats.

With registered, it gives past and present pedigree, so you know who they should pair up with when breeding and helps you to not inbreed. And you know where they came from.
If you do not know the lineage, there is that risk.

Nothing to do with milking. ;)
They are a meat goat, not a dairy breed. :)

·
14,774 Posts
I agree with what has been said. It's a great way to track bloodlines, and a good animal it increases their value.
It's big if you want to show. There are ABGA shows all over the country. A lot of open boer goat shows require the goats to be registered, including county fairs, 4-H/FFA breeding projects.
The whole reason we got into registered goats was for our kids to be able to show breeding does and bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts