Questions about angoras

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by thomcarol, Apr 15, 2013.

1. thomcarol

thomcarol Member

Feb 3, 2012
    North Alabama
    We have Nubians but I have wanted a fiber goat or two for a while, I don't know much about them or the difference in their hair. A lady that we are selling a buckling to has newly weaned angoras that she wants to trade. If we were to get one would it be a good fit for our small herd (6) of Nubians? Is the fiber good to spin into yarn? Would they need to keep their horns for Alabama heat? Any help would be appreciated, she is coming tomorrow and I need as much info as I can get to make a decision. Here is the picture she emiled me.

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What a cutie! Don't know much about them but he/she is sure cute!

3. HerdMomma

HerdMomma New Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yes they need their horns to help them with cooling. They are very sweet and docile goats and there shouldn't be a problem with it fitting in with Nubians. Good luck!!

4. You can dehorn them as kids or leave them with their horns intact.

The story about horns being needed to radiate heat is not of any practical significance.

5. angoracrazy

angoracrazy New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Hes ADORABLE!!!!!! and with the horn issue I would say leave them on angoras are pretty calm goats so you shouldn't have a problem:)

6. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Actually they are very significant. I think sweetgoats can agree with me because she has seen a fiber goat have a heat stroke from being dehorned. Now with that being said, if you choose to dehorn, as long as they have plenty of shelter and fresh clean water, you can get by with dehorning. It's up to you. Just know, they're basically wearing a sweater all year.

7. MollyDora

MollyDora Junior Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Crocker, MO
    I would like to see the parents of the little goat. if the goat in the picture behind the little one is the mom, she does not look like she has very good curls. (not good for spinning) not sure what you sell your nubians for. Our Angora Breeder will NEVER give away one angora on it's own, they are very attached to eachother.
    if the one you are getting is a buckling I would get him wethered asap! Buck fiber is not as good and gets coarse quick and will only be good for felting.
    Depending on what you are planning on doing with the yarn you spin out of the wool you might want to consider getting one from a good breeder. the best fiber comes from kids or yearlings, after a while the fiber won't be soft enough for close to skin projects, again this depends on the goat...

8. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

May 30, 2013
    Hi. New to the forum, but I definately believe in wethering. I do keep one angora a buck but he is so sweet and gentle, not buckish at all even during rut and he breeds all my does well. If he wasn't, he would be wethered. :)

9. goat luver 101

goat luver 101 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Leesburg, VA
    They need their horns

Their fiber is very prized and is used for spinning

That kid is way to young to properly see how it's fiber is going to turn out, you really can't tell until they are a year old.
    Sure is a cutie pie though!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

It looks like that doe was just sheered, that is why she does not look like she has any locks.

Angora fleece is Mohair not wool. :)

Like FiberChick said, I have seen a goat die from a heat stroke, the horns are natural air conditioners, so it helps to release the body heat. That is wha the hors are for on all goat, sbut the others do not get the fleece like the cashmere and the Angora grow thier mohair all year long so they stay hot. It is like you going outside in the heat of the summer with a sweater on.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  11. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

May 30, 2013
    Anybody know how to "buff" horns? Or even if I should. They have been knocking the tree trunk and have chips.

12. Sensible

Sensible New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    New England
    Be aware that a lot of the colored Angoras out there are the product of relatively recent crosses. Certainly they have not been selectively bred for nearly as long as the whites, and so the mohair is likely to be of lesser quality, even if registered and "purebred".

If your Nubians are not horned, you are asking for a lot of trouble if you bring in this Angora kid and do not disbud it. No matter how "sweet", "calm", or "friendly" Angoras tend to be, to make some wide generalizations, any horned goat in a herd of disbudded goats is going to learn how to use those horns, and he will cause stress on the others. An adult Angora buck with a full rack is certainly impressive, and if you have the facilities and other horned goats to go with him, there's nothing wrong with having them, but horns simply are not appropriate in a dairy setting of a well managed herd. This idea that horns act as a radiator to dissipate heat seems to make sense, but how many goat keepers today do not have shade and water available to their animals at all times? If it really were an issue, and they "need" the horns as is claimed, then certainly disbudded animals would be suffering and doing poorly all over the country, and that is simply not true. For that matter, the ears also act as radiators, but you don't see anyone claiming that Lamanchas suffer more in the heat than other breeds. The excuse that goats "need" horns is simply a handy argument for people to use who prefer them, but who don't have any demonstrable proof to back up their claims. Animals with horns can get heat stress just as easily as those without, if they're not managed or cared for properly.

13. MoKa-Farms

MoKa-Farms 4-H Secretary for Life ^.^

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Angoras NEED their horns for the heat. The act as a cooling device, and (as I have explained to my grandfather a million times) without their horns, they can die of heat stroke.
    A wethered Angora makes a great fiber goat. Wethers tend to be calmer than even does.
    Angoras grow Mohair all year long and are normally sheared at 6 month intervals.
    Angora fleece is called Mohair (Angora fiber is made by Angora rabbits), and it is separated into 3 different categories according to fineness.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type "A":[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Leans toward Mohair characteristics (some individuals may exhibit full
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mohair)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type "B":[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Blend of Mohair and Cashmere (typical Cashgora fiber)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type "C":[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Leans toward Cashmere characteristics (some individuals may exhibit
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]full Cashmere)

Hope that helped. What a cute little Angora!
    [/FONT]

14. We'll have to agree to disagree about horns. My understanding is that there is next to zero heat loss from horns, there are no sweat glands in horns and the blood circulation is weak and therefore there is very little chance of heat loss. Therefore they dont play any significant role in heat regulation in the goat.

Yes various people may have seen poll goats suffer from heat stroke, but that is not due to presence or absence of horns.

15. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

May 30, 2013
    Let me start again: I'm asking if I should smooth out the nicks and ridges on my goats horns like I would a horses hoof. For cosmetic effect and so they don't catch on anything and get caught up.

Thanks about the fiber grade. I needed that info.

16. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado

Are the horns catching on anything now? Something that will help make the horns healthier would be to add kelp to their diet. I have seen a big improvement on my goats horns when I added that. I think smoothing the ridges out may be more hassle than what it is worth. If I were the goat, I would be annoyed with the vibrations or clipping of something attached to my head lol

And as far as the horns releasing heat or not, I haven't seen any credible articles or informations suggesting that they don't play a role in releasing heat. Everything that I have researched says it does. Especially in fiber goats since their coats are much thicker than the other breeds of goats.

17. MoKa-Farms

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    If you don't mind me asking- do you have any Angoras or any past experience with Angoras?

18. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    I too have wondered about the heat connection and horns.
    It's hot and humid here, the only goats in my barn not panting are the angoras with a 3 inch fleece and horns. They're the only ones that seem comfortable. The dehorned milkers that I clipped are so panty.

As for buffing horns, I agree with Sammy. I wouldn't do that. I'd change something in their diet. I don't have a ton of personal experience but this is what I was told.

19. I don't normally blow my own trumpet but seeing though you asked. I started with Cashmeres and Angoras in 1982, and generally run about 400 Cashmeres. During that time I've also completed a Bachelor of Agricultural Science and a Doctor of Philosophy by research. My Cashmeres have fleece that is more dense than many Angoras and I run them in a humid sub-tropical region. Some are naturally polled but most are horned.

20. MoKa-Farms

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Ok, I just find it strange that someone with Angora experience says that horns are of no significance to their heat management, since I found a lot of Angora articles that say Angoras need their horns to radiate heat, I even know an Angora breeder who swears that this is true.

Same here.