The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get rid of bottle jaw, they were just wormed with ivermectin (spelling) its not serious, because they are healthy otherwise, i checked their eyes, they were a little anemic, but if I hadnt checked I would have never known, no diareah and no getting skinny at all

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Iron shot and deworming 7 days after the initial dose.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How do you get rid of bottle jaw, they were just wormed with ivermectin (spelling) its not serious, because they are healthy otherwise, i checked their eyes, they were a little anemic, but if I hadnt checked I would have never known, no diareah and no getting skinny at all
Did you have a fecal done prior to deworming? If not, you may be dealing with worms that ivermectin doesn't do. Worming only once will not get the job done because most wormers do not kill eggs.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Get a fecal done. Just because they look healthy doesn't mean they won't have a heavy worm load. They CAN look healthy and have a heavy worm load.

Make sure they check for coccidia too.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Barpole and Liver fluke cause bottle jaw..in a weakened state other worms can take over as well, including cocci...once you see bottle jaw..you know they have a heavy worm load
as GoatCrazy said..treating once will not do the job at this point...Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub q) or Valbazen 1 cc per 10# orally, (not for pregnant does) should be used in case you have liver fluke..3 times 10 days apart then again in 30 days...this will get the many stages of the worms.
To treat anemia
Red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then daily for a week then once a week until you see color return OR Iron injecable which can be found at TCS. Always keep a hepi pen or a large dose of Benedryl when treating with injectable iron..some, not all goats can have a reaction.
B 12 injected Sub Q (RX) to help rebuild red blood cells OR B complex PLUS which has a healthy amount of 12 in it.
High protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves will also help rebuild the red blood cells
Bottle jaw (edema) can take a while to clear...the edema is caused by fluid seaping out of the intestines threw tiny holes the worms leave...this fluid settles in the jaw area as the goat grazes. When the goat lays and rest the edema seaps back into the body decreasing the bottle jaw...keep in mind this fliud is also around the heart and lungs..keeping the animal from undo stress is important..meaning dont chase her to medicate her..if you have a hard to handle goat..pen her up in small area.
Best wishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts