The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these posts about how people get their does ready for being bred, but I bought 2 pregnant does and I don't think the breeder did anything for them. Do you think they are good, or should I do something to them? Currently, I'm at my mom's house, but when I get back to my dad's house, I will trim their hooves. Is there any salt I could give them? Thanks in advance :)

·
8,181 Posts
They should have good minerals available at all times, fresh (daily) water, good hay and grain if you feed it. A lot of people give a selenium shot about 2 weeks before they are due.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I do agree.

A loose salt and minerals free choice, which has good selenium and copper in it.

Trimming hooves is good.

First off, are you in a selenium deficient area? Look at your states map.
If you are not, just having Bo-se on hand in case kids are born a bit weak or have floppy legs is good. Then you can treat accordingly.
If you are in a deficient area, giving a Bo-se shot 1 month prior to kidding is best. Be careful not to overdose.
I always go a bit light per dosage.

1 month prior to kidding, give CD&T vaccine to your preggo Does, it will protect the kids for a short while after birth.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do agree.

A loose salt and minerals free choice, which has good selenium and copper in it.

Trimming hooves is good.

First off, are you in a selenium deficient area? Look at your states map.
If you are not, just having Bo-se on hand in case kids are born a bit weak or have floppy legs is good. Then you can treat accordingly.
If you are in a deficient area, giving a Bo-se shot 1 month prior to kidding is best. Be careful not to overdose.
I always go a bit light per dosage.

1 month prior to kidding, give CD&T vaccine to your preggo Does, it will protect the kids for a short while after birth.
Looked it up and I live in Washington, so the selenium level is low. I found some Bo-se online, so I will buy that, as well as CDT. I've read that most blocks have more sugars than salt in them, so I will look at my local stores and see if they have just normal salt blocks :)
Thank you toth :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should have good minerals available at all times, fresh (daily) water, good hay and grain if you feed it. A lot of people give a selenium shot about 2 weeks before they are due.
What are some good salts for goats?

·
8,181 Posts
Loose minerals are better than blocks, they can't lick enough to get the benefits. Cobalt blocks are different. Those, I guess, give enough cobalt when licked.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I agree about the blocks.

Sweetlix meat maker is a good one.

In really selenium deficient area's,
American stockman SE90(very high in selenium) is a good one, but be careful. Or American stockman SE30 which is a bit lower, but good selenium.

Bo-Se online? Doesn't it say you need a prescription?

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Yeah, that is a good one but, it is really high in selenium.
If your goats are not needing a lot of it, may be too strong. There is a less potent version of it.

Also any good cattle mineral with decent selenium and copper in it.

Cargill Right Now Onyx

Cattle Range Mineral

1 - 10 of 10 Posts