The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok breeding season has started around here. I have six does and trying to break them up into groups. I have one due in Dec. Then the other two in Feb. Then have three more that im going to waite till oct or nov to breed them. But my question is how many times should you let them breed. Ok I bred first doe two times one day and once next day. Second doe two times first day and two times second. Third doe Four times in one day. So do you feel like she needs to be bred again today just to make sure. I want to make sure they are bred. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
I agree with the others.....leave them with the buck....until they are out of heat and don't want it anymore....if ...by the next heat cycle of 18 to 21 days later...if...they don't come into season...then they are ...most likely preggo......I usually leave my does.. in with a buck.. for 3 months...3 cycles...to insure that ..everyone is nice and serviced.... :wink: :greengrin: Good luck in breeding.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I would only breed them once or twice on the first day of heat, the more times you breed them during heat the higher the chances of does having bucks as opposed to doe kids. Female sperm swims slow and lives longer, and male sperm swims fast and dies young. By breeding once or twice early on in the heat, you are giving the female sperm a chance to 'win the race' when the doe ovulates. :)

·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I dont have the setup to leave the buck with the doe. So I do hand breeding which I bring the doe into the front part of the barn then go get the buck and bring him in the barn watch them breed and then put them back. I just noticed her in heat yesterday so I bred her then and just again a little bit ago. Same with the other doe soon as I seen her in I bred her. Didnt know that about the sperm thing learn something new everyday. Thanks I have three more to breed but gona waite on them. So Im hoping for some does cause I would like to be able to keep some instead of buying some more this next year. But may have breed them wrong may end up with all bucks lol. omy

I was hoping that my first doe due would have a doe I want a baby out of her so bad. Her dad was buttin'heads buck that was a full brother to Buttin'heads wedding song if anyone knows that line. Anyways I guess i will get what I get lol. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts