The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a few questions that sure will be able to answer...
i got my cashmere over two years ago off a lady that breeds them..shes small.. but she isnt tiny... i went to a show last month and seen these gorgeous tiny goats.. a few where knee height.. and i asked what breed and the lady told me cashmere i was a little confused as my cashmere was bigger then them..
how high should they be?
how many kids do they normally have?

any help would be great..

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Were they kids? My Cashmere does are...well, pretty big. I haven't actually weighed them, but, I'd say at least 120lbs.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... NDG009.jpg

This is Hallie, she's my largest doe. Hard to see how big she is because of no reference point in pic, sorry. I'll get a better one today so you can tell.

This year I got 7 kids from my 4 does (1 stillborn), this was there first kidding season. So, I was pretty happy. Of the 6, 4 are doelings.

They seem to be a pretty hardy breed. We can get nasty winters here (we had 3 weeks of sub freezing temps last winter), and it didn't bother them at all. They are pretty quiet too, don't complain much.

Have you bred your doe yet?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.. i think my doe would be around the same size.. yes shes been bred. i will take some photos today.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
My question to you also is how old were the goats you saw at the show? I have been raising them for 9 years and yes some are a little smaller then others. That does have a lot to do with the family line.

I agree with DI, my big girls are all over 120#. They are big girls but I did have one that was pretty small that I just sold. She was what I call stunted because she was bred to early in my eyes, it was a oops. She had the baby right when she turned a year old. I like to wait until they are almost two before they deliver their first baby. For two reasons, one it really hurts their fiber production (my opinion only) and two it really stunts their growth. I have seen them make it up if they are not bred until they are almost three.

I would love to see your goat also. Where do you live and who did you buy your goat from? I know not all but most all the top breeders.
If you go to my website you will see mine and get a rough idea how big they get.

http://www.freewebs.com/sweetgoats

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

theres my girl. i dont live in the same country.sorry. the goats i seen at the show where 1 & over. its only a small country show though.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
She is a very nice looking girl. How old is she?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is my belief that there is an actual breed of goat called cashmere. THese goats are tall like alpines I have heard, and wonderfully hardy.
Yet, I have heard people say that cashmere is only a fiber type, not a specific breed, and that any goat capable of producing cashmere is called a cashmere goat. This is wrong in my opinion, but none-the-less, that is maybe why they confused you. Perhaps they were not really cashmere goats, but had cashmere fiber and the people believed the it is what is has option.
hth
And if you like the smaller fuzzy goats try pygoras, I just love them! :)
(cross between pygmy and angora. - GREAT fiber!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shes just over 2 now. shes kidded once.. and i wasn't there. i think some body took them.. the neighbors helped her after the birth.. so they seen the kids. she pregnant now.. but the worst thing is i don't know when she is due. its driving me nuts.my fault letting her stay with the buck.. im an aussie..

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Oh, I would love to visit Austrailia...but I'd have to fly...nope not going to happen. :sigh: I had to laugh, when the Nigerians were shedding out their cashmere, Hubby said "You'll want to save that, won't you?" It was such a little bit compared to the Cashmeres fleece. LOL What color were these tiny Cashmere goats? Maybe they were crossed with NDG's?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
jBlaze said:
It is my belief that there is an actual breed of goat called cashmere. THese goats are tall like alpines I have heard, and wonderfully hardy.
Yet, I have heard people say that cashmere is only a fiber type, not a specific breed, and that any goat capable of producing cashmere is called a cashmere goat. This is wrong in my opinion, but none-the-less, that is maybe why they confused you. Perhaps they were not really cashmere goats, but had cashmere fiber and the people believed the it is what is has option.
hth
And if you like the smaller fuzzy goats try pygoras, I just love them! :)
(cross between pygmy and angora. - GREAT fiber!)
Cashmere goats are a type of goat NOT a breed. That is because any goat can produce Cashmere type fiber. If you have a goat that gets a looses a soft fluffy hair, that most people just say they are shedding, that is the Cashmere type fiber. Those of us the breed Cashmere goats are breeding a goats that have the best Cashmere type fiber to reproduce better fiber. In order for it to really be called Cashmere the fiber has to be at least 1-1/2" long and have a Micron count that is below 19.5. They are looking to starting a registration of Cashmere goats, but it is not fool proof enough for me or most of us serious breeders. Right now all you have to do is take a picture of you goat, and send in a fiber sample and pay you fee, now they will be registered. To many people can mess with that. If I was a dishonest person I could take a picture of one of my does that is Beautiful, and send in another goats fiber because her fiber micron count is like 21, so she is considered cashgora (Cashmere/Angora fiber type), plus all Cashmere goats Micron count goes up as they get older, so you might register them at the age of 2 but then a year later they might be a 21 on the micron count, then back down to 16 the next year. The fiber changes by the feed that they get, that is why we really watch what we feed. So you can see, it really is not easy to get a good consistent Quality Cashmere fiber all the time, it really is harder then most people think.
OK, now that I am sure I confused you royally.

babe817 said:
shes just over 2 now. shes kidded once.. and i wasn't there. i think some body took them.. the neighbors helped her after the birth.. so they seen the kids. she pregnant now.. but the worst thing is i don't know when she is due. its driving me nuts.my fault letting her stay with the buck.. im an aussie..
So she is only two and bred twice? :worried: That is why she is smaller. She has not had enough time to grow herself before she puts it all into her babies.

So you are saying that someone stole her other babies or something took them? That is so sad. :GAAH:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the first time was a oopps... im happy shes bred now though, even thouh id be a lot happier to know her due date.. yes i think the kids where stolen... i 98% sure they where. it was sad... she had to go through the pregnancy and birth.. then her kids go missing... her screaming around the paddock looking for them.. it was cruel. i doubt they even got a good feed from her. i really dont think one fox would be able to carry 2 kids.. with out any sign... or even if a dog got into out paddock you could tell.. she is a little small.. but almost the size of my boers. im happy with her.. i think she'll be a good mum.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
AlaskaBoers said:
You can't register cashmere's in an association can you?
No. Not yet.

bab817. What is your does date of birth?
Do you have even a rough date or month? Good luck. Can you post a picture of her chahcha?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts