questions about CL

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My two little guys have had an on going cough since bringing them home early spring, one having pnuemonia and giving it to the other.......talked with vet and he suggested testing for CL......persistent cough is a sign of CL, he said :shrug:. He said it could still just be them recovering from the pnuemonia. What is treatment for CL, he didn't go into it throughly....but said there are a couple of things........also what is the long term out come of this disease?
    I'm almost afraid to have them tested, afraid of what I might find out.
    Thanks, Denise

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not sure but from what I know CAE cant be tested for until the kid is 6 months old --- I would find out if you can test for CL that early.... I wouldnt know.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey is right - CL can not be officially tested until they are 6 months old. I have heard that a cough could be associated but very rare.... as goats show their abcesses on the outside where sheep have the internal.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree with Alison...CL rarely causes coughing in goats. I think your vet was probably right when he said that they are still healing from having pnuemonia.

Did you try supplementing with vitamin A? It increases cell turnover and can speed healing. An irritated respiratory tract can also be a symptom of vitamin A deficiency.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Cl doesn't usually cause coughing in goats, But i've read CAE can. There isn't a treatment for either besides supportive care.

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Why is it 6 months for CL?

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I think that is when any antibodies are out of the system that momma might have passed..... that is just was WADDL wants to be able to verify the tests..... UNLESS there is an abcess then the exudos can be tested directly.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...I never heard of CL causing a cough....I believe... that your goat ..may have scar tissue in the lungs ..from the pneumonia ......just remember... that not all vets ...know everything about goats.... :wink: Testing them ....most likely ...you may find ...that your vet is wrong...in his assumption...I'm not a vet... but ..that is how.. I feel about it... :hug:

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Your goats may have lung worms which is fairly common in goats and causes a persistent cough. Two treatments of Levasole(levamisole hydrochloride)14 days apart should kill lung worm if that is what is causing the cough.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the info......I gave them Vit A for a month, vet said to stop giving it that I had given enough......if they were def. in it then I would have already seen a difference and giving to much is not good.

They have also been wormed for lungworms and liver flukes.

May very well be that they are just still dealing with the lasting effects of pneumonia....they are not wasting away at all which I read happens with CL, vet even said they look really well.......he just said that if coughing continued then testing would be something to consider.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What would the dosage be for the Levasole??

For some reason, I thought that Ivomec + also took care of lung worms :shrug:

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, you should have noticed a difference by then. Since they are normal otherwise and I know you've wormed them for lung worms, the cough probably is due to lung damage from pneumonia...sometimes that can take several months to heal. They should get better with time. Try not to get too stressed over the CL thing...I seriously doubt that's the cause. :hug:

13. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    We use Levasole as a boluse. The dosage is by weight. Because this wormer is labeled for sheep we nearly double the dosage for the goats. Typically any wormer for sheep has to be nearly doubled to work well for goats.
    You want to give it twice two weeks apart because it only kills adult worms not the eggs.
    Levasole is a wormer that should never be used on a pregnant doe.

Ivomec is not a real effective drug for lungworms even though the label says it is used for lungworm. The same is true for lice. Injectable Ivomec has no effect on lice that I have seen even though it is labeled for lice control.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Where do you find Levasole? I thought they took it off the market :shrug: ????

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ivermectin, for me, worked fine for lungworms. I dosed at 1cc per 20lbs using the injectable. And it doesn't do a thing for lice like Shannon said.

The ONLY extra thing that Ivomec+ treats is liverflukes. Thats it.