The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a doe that is bred but we don't know how far along. Her udder has filled up quite a bit in the last 2 days so maybe not too far off. This will be her third time to kid with her second time at the end of last December. So obviously she was bred soon after kidding (not by us, she came to us almost 2 months ago). Over the past couple of weeks she has lost weight and isn't really interested in her grain. She has been more standoffish than normal also. She gets straight alfalfa hay but she is at the bottom of the pecking order and is timid about getting in there and eating so I'm not sure how much she is getting. The other goats don't hurt her, she is just super submissive and waits until all goats are finished before she goes in to eat. We lost a doe to milk fever several months ago and I want to head off any problems before it's too late. We started her on magic this afternoon in case she is has toxemia. Will this hurt her if she doesn't have toxemia? I also wanted to start her on calcium injections but on fias co farm's website I noticed that you can give calcium injections to goats to dialate them. I don't want that to happen. Is it safe to give them or should I wait until more serious signs come up?

I also wanted to add that when she kidded in December she only had one and this time she is really small so she may only have one in there. If it weren't for her udder filling up you would have trouble telling that she was pregnant.

·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't have pellets but I can try with the hay. I've heard oral cmpk burn their mouths, is that true?

·
2,180 Posts
It does burn and has a nasty taste. Keep water next to you. If I have to do a calcium drench, I drench 20cc of water right away as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts