questions about goats and milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sandyj, Jan 7, 2009.

1. sandyj

sandyj New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I am considering getting a couple of goats for the milk. I live in Minnesota and don't see any people selling goats in this state. They don't have to be pure bred and don't want to spend alot of money. Should I get a goat that is already milking or a pregnant one? I would like to have 2 -3 goats. I don't want them to be too large because of living on a regular size city lot. Any one out there in the area know of anyone selling goats in Minnesota?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Best bet and cheaper one would be to get a mini...wether it be Nigerian Dwarf, pygmy...even though they are not considered a Dairy goat, they do give a very sweet milk, mini crosses such as a mini nubian or mini la mancha.....a dry doe or even pregnant doe would be a bit cheaper than a doe in milk....and 2 goats are better than one.If you don't have an area for a goat to forage, you may try doing a search on keeping goats on a "dry lot" type management.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
  4. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Get in touch with your local 4H to see if there are any goat breeders in your area. Go to the local feed mill and look at the bulletin board and/or ask the people there if they know people with goats.