Questions about grain

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I read a lot about most of you feeding grain to your milk does. Can you help clarify a few things for me?

I feed a pelleted goat diet, Dumor, from Tractor Supply. I don't think this is what you mean by grain. But they don't seem to offer this at our store.

Is this enough for pregnant/lactating does? Hope seems to be a good weight but I worry, and since I am bringing home another lactating doe, and a possibly pregnant doe, I want to do the BEST for them.

Should I just increase their feeding amount with the pellets? I have also heard of people using Mare and Foal for lactating/pregnant does. Would this be better? What percentage should I look for and how much for each doe in each stage (pregnancy/lactation).

Thank you so much. :hug:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feed the Blue Seal brand of "grain" from TSC....It's called Caprine Challenger. I have seen the Dumor goat pellets there but my goats haven'rt ever liked just straight pellets....the blue seal has pellets as well as steamed crimped oats and corn mixed with mollasses.

If yours are doing fine with the pellets stick with it...when most of us refer to "grain", we mean any feed given to our goats, at least thats what I call grain.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Same as Liz - when I refer to grain - it is anything other then hay.

I mix the following for mine:

All 50# bags -

1 - 9% sweetfeed
    1 - Beet Bulp
    1 - Rolled Oats
    2 - Alfalfa pellets

I then mix these together by layering them in my garbage cans little of each on top of the other. Does that make sense?

I give this to them on the milk stand or when I need to get them all into one area - just makes it easier and gives them extra calories for those kids!

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for the replies.

I haven't been able to find Blue Seal, or really, any goat feed that is anything but "pellets." Mine seem okay with it, though sometimes I put a little corn in with it as a treat on colder days.

I could certainly mix my own, like kelebek, as well. Do people often use Mare and Foal though? Maybe I could find a horse mix that is similar to kelebek's mix and add a scoop to the pellets when on the milkstand. :?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since you do have a TSC there...try mixing their brand of "ALL GRAIN" into your pellets if you wish.....I'm pretty sure they would carry it down there. It is called Producers Pride All Grain....it is oats,crimped corn, barley all mixed into a "sweet feed"...you can mix it 50/50...i do think it is 12% protein.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I knew that I was missing something in that mix - DUH - BOSS - Black oiled sunflower seeds!!!

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    We can buy dairy goat pellets here and they are made from grain. Some folks feed them straight. I mix mine with whole oats, cracked corn and BOSS. For the bucks and kids, I buy goat developer pellets. They are medicated for cocci and also have ammonium chloride to prevent urinary calculi in bucks and wethers.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you, liz, I will look for that.

Pertaining to medicated feed, TSC has this, but I am unsure on buying it. What is it medicated for and what are the dangers of using it?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I did use that medicated feed you mentioned from TSC....It has deccox in it for cocci prevention...i wouldn't reccomend it mainly because it is not to be used in does that you are planning to milk and the fact that you just don't know exactly how much each kid is eating...I still ended up with a kid that had an outbreak.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks, I figured it wouldn't be safe. I make sure to double check that the feed is not medicated when I buy.

11. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    where do you get the BOSS at?

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You should be able to find it at any feed store. Ours is almost always in the bird section. I've also found some at Lowe's too, not as big of bags but they were good sized, I think 20 lbs.

13. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I feed a grain that I mix myself.
    Oats, Rolled Corn, BOSS, Dairy Pellet, and Gold Cote Oil.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Rolled oats, isn't this the same as Old Fashioned oatmeal you buy in the store? If so can I use this in a pinch or as a treat? The ingredients are 100% rolled whole grain oats.