The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new here or to goats but I'm new to Nigerians. I just have a couple questions how old/heavy should a nigerian dwarf be to breed? If I get one how much grain should I feed him or her daily? Also how much should i feed a pregnant nigerian doe daily? Also what should I have to give them free choice minerals grass hey exc...? The one in the picture is to young to breed but I don't have a picture of the yearling I may get... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm new, myself, but I think it's safe to say that free choice hay, water, and minerals are in order. It seems from what I've read here that a herd can thrive on many different combinations of goodies, and that so as long as you transition gradually from the feed (blend of hay, brand of grain) and water (chlorinated or not) that they're on at their current home, to what you have, they should be fine. If you are milking, mineral for lactating dairy animals would be my suggestion, and I would be prepared to give supplemental copper as needed (using reddening black coats and fishtail as indicators of deficiency). When I'm in doubt about quantities to give, I divide the quantity suggested for standard goats in half, as NDs are only about half the weight of standard goats. A rule of thumb I was given for grain given to a doe in milk is "grain equal in volume (not weight!) to the amount of milk given". I let their behaviour and condition tell me how they're doing. (Of course, even though they're well-fleshed and shiny-coated, they're always begging for free choice grain, and the weeds on the other side of the fence are always greener!)

ETA: Thus, if you've always bred your standards at two-thirds their adult weight, and the adult weight of an ND is 75lb, then 50lb; if three-quarters, then 54lb...I just don't recall what percentage of adult weight is recommended for goats in general! One breeder told me, "wait until the doeling is in her second spring" (in this case, nearly a year); another breeder told me "I breed them at six months...it's more risky, but they've done all right". If you've always fed your pregnant standards X amount, then I'd suggest .5X for NDs, and watch how they do--making minor adjustments up or down as needed.

(As for what to feed bucks of any breed to keep them in optimum health, I've read a thousand opinions but don't feel any wiser. Perhaps the advice for bucks is the same.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts