Questions about Olivia's kids

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Seven Dwarfs, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa
    I need a little imput on my feeding situation with Olivia's kids. I took the 2 weakest ones out the night she kidded and just brought them to her periodically to nurse some. I had also milked some colostrum from her that night, so I was also giving them bottles. I left the three does and the big boy with her. Yesterday I went to the vet and he said in two weeks I will know if she can feed them all (the four still with her) Should I take the boy out now? Just in case. With this big size difference, I am worried about the three girls and I am afraid if I wait he will have a harder time adjusting. I have never experienced a situation like this. We have only had twins. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank You Guys. Have a great weekend!

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    How did Anna say she did feeding her kids last time? She had triplets? If Anna said she fed them with ease, then I'd be inclined to wait and see how she does with the four babies. If she had a harder time feeding three, then I'd pull that big boy for bottle-feeding. . . jmho.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with...Olivia.... :wink:

How are their tummy's are they all full? If so then she is doing a great job.... if any kids have empty feeling tummies then pulling one would be wise..... :hug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I probably would pull the big boy and bottle feed - -chances are even if seh can feed them all he will be stronger then the others and push them off the teat or beat them to nursing all the time. THis happened with my doe and her quads

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I agree completely with Stacey - I would pull that big lump of a boy and bottle feed him. I think regardless of how much milk she has, the two girls are going to get the short end of the straw.

Also, an added bonus for me is that the udder stays so much healthier with only two kids. With triplets, I find I get lots of bitten teats from three kids fighting over two teats.