Questions about our Nubians Tails

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Special ed, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Hello All,

Once again i have another questions for The Goat Spot community. Thanks in advance for any answers or advice.

My wife and I recently purchased a new Nubian Doe to add to our small herd and noticed that her tail is really erect if it was a hand on a clock it would be pointing to 1:00. However our other Nubians tails all point to about 10:00 or 11:00. Since i have heard that the tail can tell you how they are feeling i am thinking that my goats might not be feeling 100%? :sigh:

They are active and like to run around with our youngest daughter. Since we have had them for only a month they have put on some weight but do not appear to be over weight. The weathers are a bit bigger than our original doe and she is a little bigger than the new doe we just got. All of them are around 6 months old.

They are feed a 1/2 cup of Purina Goat chow and 1/2 cup cobb per day. They have some timothy hay availible to them at all times as well as free choice minerals and of course water. They get about an hour or so each day to browse and seem to really like blackberry bushes as this is where they will spend most of the time browsing.

So the question is should i be worried and does the tail reflect how the goats are feeling?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goat tails.... can be different from goat to goat.... some even curl tightly down to their backs and do a pretty flip.... all is normal....when they hold them down.... is a good indication of either.... they are being bugged .....or are not feeling well..... Your goats sound normal......... if they act sick take temp.... otherwise it is OK.... :wink:

3. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Well i feel a little better now, my wife and I were thinking it might just be a trait from her parents but figured we would ask.

I guess i will keep an eye on the new Does tail to see if after a few weeks it starts to tell a diffrent time.

Thanks for the advice. :stars:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem.... and your very welcome.... :thumb: :greengrin: