Questions...about poop!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lawanda, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    What is this "fecal test" I keep reading about? and is "fecal float test" the same thing?

I just wondered.

My Bella is having clumpy poops since yesterday. She is acting perfectly fine, just having clumpy poops. I am thinking I should worm her, probably? But I have also heard of Cocci, and have no clue what that is, except it is not good.

Thx for any answers or insight!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Questions...

A fecal float is done by a vet, or if you are fortunate enough to be able to do one yourself, it checks the poop for a microscopic view of a worm load. Clumpy poop does not neccessarily mean she needs wormed, could also mean that she had a bit too much of grain or green browse.

Cocci is normally a kid condition, BUT it does affect adults as well, all goats have cocci, it is when the numbers in their system get too high that it causes serious problems.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liz is totally right... :thumbup: ...a way to be sure... if you like... is have a fecal done....
    If it is clumpy ...do to feed ...then ....no worries...just feed a little less... than what you are feeding ...and then you will see ...that the poo should turn back into pellets... :wink: :greengrin:

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thx guys!

I don't know that it would be her feed or hay, since we've been doing it the same since we got her. But I guess maybe some of her pasture could be greener than other parts, maybe, to cause it? Her pasture is our yard and wooded area behind our house. I don't see everything she eats, cuz only goats can get in there! LOL

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that will do it.. :wink: ..maybe.. put her out in the pasture for a few hours a day ...then slowly increase the time... she is on it ....her poo... should go back to normal...... :greengrin:

6. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ok, well today Hope has clumpy poop too. Bella's may still be clumpy too, I haven't seen her poop...They were out at pasture all day yesterday, but ate only hay today because of rain...

do you think it is something they are eating, for sure?

It is almost time to worm them again, I may just go ahead and do it tomorrow...just in case!

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What do you use for dewormer? Some are ineffective in certain areas. I don't know about your area though. I would see about getting a fecal sample taken in to your vet and see what you may be dealing with.

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Everyone uses the horse one, oh shoot, can't remember its name... It is still effective according to the lady I bought the goats from... Anyhow, I may try, but vets around here are pretty cantankerous about goats, so I may have to learn how to do this fecal thing myself.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont tell them it is a goat :p

10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ahhh yes, I have read that before..that doesn't matter to do the fecal? I mean, they don't need to know what kind of animal it is?

I have been watching Bella this morning and she seems to be tending toward the green grass. Wonder why that is? Both of their poops today have been pellets, though!! YAY :)

We are going to go ahead and wait til later to worm them now... :)

I appreciate you guys' input :)

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...Lawanda..... :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup: