Questions About Testing Your Goats.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Champion Fence Jumpers, May 27, 2020.

1. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I am looking into testing my 3 does and I have a few questions.

1: Is Johnes accurate? Should I even bother with having it done? One lab says that it is recommended that your goat is 18 months old, so I guess I can’t do Racheal.

2: What labs are the best and reasonably priced?

3: Is it risky drawing blood yourself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA

3. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Okay, thanks! I don't know if I will test them for Johnes. It seems CAE and CL are the two most important. Do y'all test for it? And should I?

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We do the bio security panel as it’s about the same cost as just CL and CAE and doesn’t require any more blood. We used SageAg Labs, and she was very helpful. However it cost us a ton of money to overnight the samples to her since she is located in the middle of nowhere according to FedEx.

We drew our own samples. It’s not complicated but takes a few tries to get the technique down. Watching some videos helped, and a goat friend came to help show us how to do it the first time. Bucks are harder to draw on for me, their skin is so much thicker. I definitely recommend having someone help you hold their neck at the correct angle. It’s a useful skill to have.

5. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Do you have to use overnight shipping? I think I read that you can use priority mail.

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Probably not, but I didn’t have ice packs and didn’t want to go through all that work for bad samples. Next time I’ll probably send not overnight with ice packs.

7. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Oh, okay. Thanks!

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Most blood tests are not accurate under six months of age.
    You will not kill your goat drawing blood no matter how many times you stick them.

9. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Okay. Racheal my youngest doe is 13 months old, so I can’t test her for Johnes.