Questions and Prayers for Squirt

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dover Farms, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay...for those of you who don't know. Squirt and her sister, Big Girl(temporary names), were born late Saturday night. So they are only 3 days old.

Sunday and Monday Squirt would not lay down at all, except at night. When Mom went out to feed them this morning....Squirt was breathing funny...real short and fast breaths. She wanted to eat, but acted like she couldn't get enough air. Mom took her to the vets(I stayed home to milk my girls who were full). Mom got back and the vet said that she has some degree of pneumonia and he gave her a shot of pen., benemein(SP?), and some pink stuff that he sent home with us. That would make since why she wouldn't lay down..she couldn't breath! :( She ate almost all of her milk at 1:00 p.m. :leap: Please pray that she continues to get better. :thumb:

Okay, my question. When the girls were born..they're rear pasterns were a bit weak...like some newborns are. We have given them their Bo-Se and CD+T shots. Big Girl has gotten better...but Squirt is worse...I think because she stands all of the time...and she is still standing now. When this all hopefully goes away...will her pasterns straighten up? Her front legs are also slightly bowed out. Like I said...I am pretty sure this is from all of her standing, because her sis isn't like this and neither are her parents.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats scary - glad you got the vet involved for a diagnosis.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sorry for your baby...I'm making a prayer list and Squirt will be on it...sending good wishes and hugs to you! Di

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Babies are so flexible at that age- I bet you're right about it being caused by not laying down- I wouldn't be the least surprised to see it all go to normal if you can get her over this illness.
    I do hope she gets better for you soon- certainly a rough start for her.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Good news! She drank all of her milk tonight! :stars: She was crying an awful lot after I came in from chores...I figured she was hungry because she kept pecking me. :greengrin: So, I fixed her and her sister up a bottle and she drank all she was supposed to and wanted more! :leap: :clap:

ETR, you are so right...this is quite the rough start for her.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and keep them coming! :) She's not out of the woods, yet....

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Glad to hear she's doing better! Hope she gets fully recovered soon.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh Jacque I'm so sorry to hear about her!! How is she doing? It sounds like it could be aspiration.

Do you still have Pulsatilla? Is is 30 or 200? If its 30, give it to her 2x a day and if its 200 give it to her once a day, that will help if she has pneumonia.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    She is doing lots better! Still not breathing right, but eating and is more perky. Mom and I both have seen her pee at different times now...no poop yet, though, but neither has her sister since we put them in the basement yesterday morning. Should I be concerned about that?? I just figured since they are on milk and not solids they're not going to poop a lot.

Yeah, we still have the Pulsatilla 30C. Will it be alright to give her along with the little kid medicine the vet sent us home with?

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jacque,
    I am so glad to hear that she is doing better. One thing you need to be careful of is a baby that young on to much medication. I would bet the she aspirated some fluid in her lungs as she was coming into the world. I would also give her some (little bit) of probiotics because of the medications, or put some plain yogurt in her bottle.
    Also, the CDT should NEVER be given before two week of age. There little body can not utilize it like they need until they are two weeks old.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No, it shouldn't interfere with her meds.