The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping y'all can help with some questions I have. I have a Nigerian dwarf bottle baby. He was born on 6/29. He eats around 5-6 times a day whole milk. I'm new to bottle babies and have some questions that I can't seem to find answers too. So here they go

1. When Tony falls asleep he makes funny little snort cue noises. Is this normal? 2. He has been sneezing some today. Is this normal? 3. I've noticed some grumbles from his tummy and want to make sure it's normal too. And fouth he's started itching and shaking his ears, I don't see anything in them but should I treat them for mites (and how). Ohandwhen should I worm him and vaccinate him?

Please help.

Thanks Sami

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Congrats on your new little guy!

First, I would cut his bottles down to 4 times per day. He needs time in between bottles to process the milk and have an empty stomach for the next bottle.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the noises he makes when he sleeps. I would just watch and see about the sneezing. You could always take his temperature and see what it is.

Is he inside your house? They do itch and shake once in a while.

I vaccinate with CDT at 3 weeks and 6 weeks.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
he is adorable Congrats : ) ... Karen is correct..get a temp and keep a watch on the sneezing....
Tummy grumbling is normal as he digests his milk...How much per bottle does he get and about how much does he weigh? To know how much he should eat..I weigh my baby then multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz..then multiply that by 10% to see how much he needs in a 24 hour period..then I divide that into 4-5 bottles a day..by the time he is 2 weeks..I feed the last bottle about 8 pm...
I dont worm my kids until they need it...begin checking fecal when he is grazing outside ....I do give cocci treatment at 3 weeks..I use Baycox which I order from horseprerace.com...or you can have fecals done to see if he needs treatment...As for the iching..you can put some tea tree oil on a cotton ball and wipe his ear out..
again, congrat on your new baby,,hes a doll

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I justnoticedhis sneezing seems to be more after sniffing stuff. He is inside for now but soon to be outside. I honestly am not sure if he pooped today buthe has been peeing. My shepherd believes shes his mom and tends to clean up poop if i dont get it first. I did take his temp it was at 102.6. Hes very active and playful. Im wondering if im just worrying a bit too much

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Temp is normal. Always good to be aware of things. Sounds like he is doing just fine and things are normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay. Ive heard horror storries and had a nubian die overnight once from worms. He was fine then gone. So may worry just a bit. This weekend he is going out to his newly built pen. He decided today that our young donkey and him were best friends. Which is good because our donkey loves him. The pen will be next to his until he gets a bit older and bigger and will be put in the large area.

Not the best picture but he was butting heads with Jethro the donkey. Hes just a year old and my dads current rescue project ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lol it's perfectly normal to worry lol! The sneezing after sniffing is perfectly normal, I'm not sure why they do it, even when they don't sniff dusty stuff they do it. I think it's just a baby goat thing :p As long as he doesn't get any green(clear is generally fine) mucous coming out, he's fine. Grumbling in the tummy is normal, it's just the rumen doing it's job :) As for the itching, how consistent is it? Is it just casual boredom itching(this is normal), or a constant thing? If it's a more constant thing, I would do what Cathy suggested :) The sleep noises....I'm not sure, I would think it's normal though lol, like he's dreaming. And I'm not sure on vaccinations..here's an article from FiasCo Farm that might help though: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/vac-schedule.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I weighed tony today I was thinking he was around 5 pounds but boy I was wrong. He is at 7.6!! I feel better knowing he is growing but swear when I look at him he still is tiny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts