Questions for the breeder??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Tomorrow I'm going to drive down to visit the woman who breeds Nigerian Dwarfs (yippee! I'm very excited). I'm going to check out the pregnant mommas and talk with her about purchasing a doeling (or two). Her babies will be 8 weeks old in mid-April/May.

She sells both registered and unregistered animals. Her animals are vaccinated, de-horned, de-wormed, and have their hoof-trimming done at the time of sale. She does not give a refund once the animal leaves her farm.

Does anyone have advice on questions I should ask her, or things I should look for when I'm there?

Thanks,
    Sundari

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Personally -

- Does she test for CAE, CL, and/or Johnes. If so ask to see the paperwork.
    - references?
    - dam raise or bottle raise
    - socialization of babies?
    - cocci and worming regiment for kids

That is all I can think of at the moment -----

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmmm. well since I sell pets and haven't felt the need to test, I make sure the new owners know about their vaccinations, wormings, hoof trims etc....and type all this up and give when the kids leave. I also give enough grain to give them for a few days if the new owner has trouble getting it, this way they can gradually change the kids over to what they can get.

I would also suggest that you ask what type of grain they are getting as well as how much and when.
    The type of hay they get would also be a useful question.

You want their stress to be as minimal as possible when you bring them home so getting the same feed and hay as well as keeping their feeding times as close the same as possible will help minimize the stress level.

And if you decide to go with the registered kids, ask how she handles the paperwork.

Does she register and then transfer to you or will she provide the application as well as the bill of sale so that you can register them.